Sony announcing two full frame mirrorless tonight

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

There will be a 24mp and a 36mp version. The 24mp full frame is expected to cost only 1700 USD without a lens.

They are also expecting to announce at least four full frame e mount lenses (now going to be called FE lenses) to go with it. I believe old 35mm lenses will cover the entire sensor with adapters.

Also heard that regular e mount lenses will work and turn on an auto crop mode much like Nikon and mounting a DX lens on a full frame.

More details late tonight. Announcement is tomorrow morning in London.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Exciting stuff for sure. ; I have also posted THIS THREAD with pre-order links and a video from B&H that looks really promising. ; Lots of new lenses too.

This one is definitely on my radar!

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Very interesting lenses announced. ; Are these cameras capable of shooting sports? ; Love the specs but besides no mirror, what are the advantages of this type of camera?

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Main advantage is obviously meant to be size/weight savings for a full frame sensor. ; A key advantage to the mirrorless side of things is the super-thin registration gap between lens and sensor, which makes these cameras infinitely adaptable to any other mount - and now that mirrorless advantage rolls over to full frame - so via adapters for any other mount, you get a modern full frame sensor body and controls with any old full frame lens you may have. ; Rumored Canon, Nikon, and Leica adapters will be autofocus capable for the autofocus versions of their full frame lenses.

As for shooting sports, it sounds like the A7 might be the most capable for that, since it has the on-sensor PDAF focusing of the A99 Alpha - that should make it capable of continuous AF tracking at up to 5fps. ; The A7R is rumored to be much faster for CDAF based focusing, but in general it is unlikely that CDAF focusing is quite up to shooting sports if a target needs to be focus tracked as it comes towards you. (Mind you any sports, action, birds in flight, etc can be done with a CDAF focus system...it just requires a lot more work and a lower hit rate...the PDAF on sensor version in the A7 will be the better choice.

5. Roger

Scott, on sensor AF has almost gotten there but not yet. For sports use they have a new SLT alpha mount so you can get better AF performance with the new 70-200/2.8 or the other G primes. Third party manufacturers have been working on AF capable adapters for the E mount and I know Sony would love to tell people Switch, your lenses will work with our body.

But if there is anything about this system it has to be that manual focusing is much easier with focus peaking. And these have the best EVF on the market now which makes it even better.

Landscape/travel photography will be a dream with this. It is extremely small compared to a 5Dmk3 or D610. Now if you use other system lenses you'll lose some of that weight advantage but it's still there.

6. Roger

Size comparison:

From camerasize.com

Attached Files:

7. Roger

Re: Trey Ratliff's hands on with the A7r

I was kind of expecting this because he has lowered the frequency of using Nikon in favor of his NEX-7 so I thought he would jump up to the A7r.

He has a great writeup about some of the new innovations in the cameras, like Eye AF (it focuses on the eyes)

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2013/10/1 ... new-level/

8. gary

gary Member

it's coming, i can feel that train a coming. remember i said it here 2 years ago, that within 5-10 years we'd have full frame light weight mirrorless