Sony A6000 is on its way!

Discussion in 'B&H, Affiliate Promotions' started by Tim, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I took the plunge and ordered a Sony A6000 (from Amazon, of course!) and it should be here Friday. Looking forward to comparing it to my NEX-6, which will likely become expendable.

Anyone besides Justin have any familiarity with the A6000?

Lenses:
    18-200 (original silver)
    10-18 OS
    16 f/2.8 with 12mm and fisheye adapters
    55-210
    18-50 PZ

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Couldn't wait, huh? ;) I think the things you're going to like the most, aside from the better focus speed and amazing focus tracking, are the much increased customization of the controls (7 different external buttons are programmable, and the Fn menu holds 12 settings), the three MR banks for favorite settings combos, MFNR built into the ISO control and settable ISO floor and ceiling, expanded bracketing...just to name a few.

Make sure one of the very first things you do is make sure you have the firmware updates on all your lenses - the 10-18mm and 16mm don't need it, but the 18-200, 55-210, and 18-50 may all need to be updated if you haven't already. You should be on V2 I think for all of the lenses - you may have done it to help enable PDAF on your NEX6, but just in case you didn't, it really makes a difference now with the PDAF system on the A6000. The NEX6's PDAF was sort of like a backup system, to help the CDAF a little - the A6000 works much more like a DSLR, with PDAF up front and center and working fast - CDAF is just there for the fine tuning and low light.

Oh, and keep your batteries from the NEX6, and if you had an external charger, keep that too - you don't get one with the A6000 as it charges from USB/AC direct to the camera. Fortunately, anyone with a prior NEX should still have their wall charger around to use. Sometimes, it's nice to have both - I can charge one battery in camera while the wall charger charges a second one, both at the same time.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Thanks @zackiedawg. I have 2 extra wasabi batteries and a dual charger so I'm good to that extent.