Some handheld multi-stacked shots around MK

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Feb 26, 2013.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Some more shots from my Feb trip to Disney World...the same night I had those cool skies around sunset, I also stuck around for some night shooting in the park, including some shots around the new Fantasyland which I hadn't yet seen at night...I didn't bring my tripod that night, so I was restricted to handheld high-ISO shooting, using the in-camera Multi-frame stacking mode (and a few using HDR 3-frame stacking) to help out. ; Here's a look around what I got that night:

Beast's castle and restaurant entrance at night:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gaston's:
    [​IMG]

Little Mermaid:
    [​IMG]

Castle through the new walls:
    [​IMG]

Village Haus, more open and visible now:
    [​IMG]

On these next ones, I used in-camera HDR to deal with the bright lights and darker shadows...

A few shots looking up at the castle from right underneath:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firehouse:
    [​IMG]

City Hall building:
    [​IMG]

Emporium:
    [​IMG]

Train station:
    [​IMG]

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always. ; Was a lovely night, the start of the cold front that blessed the whole trip with gorgeous clear cool weather.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

another fantastic set Justin!

3. zackiedawg

Thank you kindly, Craig!

4. Love the glow you got in Town Square!

The only hang up I have (and it's not with the pictures) is that I've yet to see a great picture of the Beast's castle due to, in my opinion, the forced perspective. ; It may be in my head, but I see a miniature castle every time.

Nevertheless, this is great work. ; I would gladly pay for the Train Station shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. zackiedawg

I don't disagree with you on Beast castle...I am trying to make it work in my head, and trying to think of ways to shoot it so it feels more natural, but I can't help but keep thinking miniature every time I see it. ; I think they need more miniature pine trees and such to make the rest of the scene feel in the same scale, then gradually enlarge the trees as they get closer. Funny thing is - I feel like the castle is about 1 foot tall, and in reality it's at least 15-20 feet - so it actually even looks SMALLER than it really is to my eye!

6. I love, love, LOVE the sky in the Village Haus shot. The fact that you got that hand held was really cool. I am reluctant to try hand held. I just got back from a late Feb trip and I came up with the idea to rubber band glow sticks to the bottom legs of my tripod. The CM's herding people for the Wishes FW really loved that I did that and I'm sure the two people out of the thundering thousands who were paying attention liked it too. As for the rest of them, I just use those metal spikes on the feet of my tripod to get their attention so they don't trip on my 'pod.

Nice going as usual Justin!

~Joanie

7. zackiedawg

Thank you Joanie. ; I know what you mean about the tripod in the crowd...I've tried to be brave a few times and set up a tripod in a fairly central location, like the bridge entering Tomorrowland to get the Tomorrowland sculpture thingie - and you really do feel like a salmon swimming up river. ; While bears try to eat you. ; I am a stickler for never blocking the flow of people walking around because I don't want to give Disney an excuse to cut back on photography allowances - so the best method I find is to find the Disney photographer who's set up for a shot, and notify them that you're setting up right behind them, shooting the opposite direction. ; That lets you be in the center of the crowd, while not causing a new obstruction. ; Still, people coming at you tend to walk right at you like they're playing chicken, and keeping a hand on the tripod and/or camera is pretty much a must!

8. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice shots Justin. I really like the Train Station & Castle shots.