SEAL WALKS

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gary

gary Member

so today i went on something i have known about for a few years, but never somehow got to, a guided seal watching walk , today at cupsogue beach county park, in west hampton, ny, a county park located on the eastern side of moriches inlet, a wild and very very dangerous bay to ocean passage. harbor seals, gray seals and a few hooded seals come here each winter, increasing in numbers throughout december and staying until the end of march, almost all gone by late april, back up to either the gulf of maine for the harbor seals or the arctic for the gray and hooded seals. today they had been hauled out onto the sandbar, but some thoughtless people making too much noise and letting barking dogs run free on the bayside beach, in direct violation of the leash laws, scared them into the water, right before the 10:00 am lecture and walk, the walks are run by CRESLI, the coastal research and education society of long island, a volunteer group dedicated to protection and better knowledge of our coastal pinnipeds. so here are a few harbor seals that hauled out on some rocks to catch the sun and be warm

[​IMG]

as i get time and can finish up the railroad shots i will post a couple more from today, but honestly most of them look like this, i do have a couple of swimming and one or two splash shots i can show

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    jbwolffiv and Nancy AK like this.
  2. gary

gary Member

here is a little better view of a larger pod

[​IMG]

jbwolffiv likes this.
  3. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Gary this sounds so awesome to be able to participate in this. Thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gary

gary Member

another of a swimmer about to haul out

[​IMG]

and another, i kept 16 out of 1000, hopefully i can get some variety next time and maybe some hauling out sequences

[​IMG]