Rumor has it...

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Tim, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

That Cars Land is coming to Disney Hollywood Studios!

http://micechat.com/10831-disney-cars-land-studios/

Opinions? ; Frankly, I don't care what does (Streets of America, and/or Backlot Tour/LMA, etc). ; I think this would be awesome, especially given that I was at Opening Day at DCA Cars Land. ;

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

>Disney needs a Potter-swatter, and Fantasyland ain’t it.

Hammer, nail, head.

Pandora could have been it, but assuming that it still happens (I think it will), the fact that Avatar II: Unobtainium at Sea, Avatar III: The Search for Jake and Avatar IV:The Quest for Peace are many years away from even being released....
    of

I don't see them putting in a full Cars Land BUT I agree with Kevin - they should try and find a way to put an indoor Cars attraction. ; Perhaps instead of RSR, World Grand Prix, which races through various ; cities on the tour. ; It can start in Tokyo, so the indoor track would have a reason (because it has to be at night) but Disney has shown that you can have an indoor ride simulate daytime. ;

Couple that with the Monsters Inc Coaster that was announced* and never built.....

3. Tim

RSR is, in my opinion, an absolute masterpiece of an attraction. ; I think you would have enough room to build almost the entire Cars Land, but it would require sacrificing Streets of America, LMA, and Backlot Tour. ; Heck, I'll even throw in HISTK for good measure. ; That *should* be enough room to build almost the entire thing.... ;

I don't losing Luigi's Flying Tires or Junkyard Jamboree would be a crippler compared to building the land. ;

They need do so something because DCA >>> DHS big time right now.

4. Roger

That's the problem - right now TDLBV acts like TDA did in the late 90s, and losing LMA and the Backlot tour for at least 2 years to properly build RSR would not sit well with them.

But building a huge show building so you could use staging and have an indoor ride...well that wouldn't take as long. ; Radiator Springs was built by hand. ; I don't see that being replicated again.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I am on board with wanting it as a clone in DHS. ; Not sure when I would get to DCA so it would probably take less time for them to build it. ; My fear is what Kevin says, that the dudes/dudettes in Orlando will dummy it down. ; But that is the best part of rumors, until they are official (and they rarely are) the debates can continue. ; When they make them official, the the complaints will begin!

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Now imagine Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing lights setup in Radiator Springs instead of Streets of America!

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I think it would work without taking out the Streets of America. ; In fact, I think they could do it without having to take out any existing structure except swampland and trees.

[​IMG]
    [used google earth for maps and sketch! for adding outlines]

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  8. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

When everyone here started the talk a while back that they would prefer to have Cars Land instead of Avatar Land, I had to sit back and find myself in complete agreement. ; Both because I love the original Cars, and the DCA land of it looks great! ; I also just felt that in general Cars was a better fit for Disney at it's parks. ; Now that we have the possibility of both, I prefer to have Avatar over at AK just because of the theme and feel of the movie, if they are gonna go ahead and build it AK seems to fit the bill best. ; Now, with Cars... ; they can build it wherever they want, as long as they do it, and don't cheap out in any way. ; In-fact, turn it up a notch since they have the chance to do it again.

9. Tim

Well said, Jay.

10. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

The only thing that is going to be a potter-swatter is time... People need to move on ..

Nothing is going to derail that attraction unless Universal screws up.

and with Rumours of JK writing another book.. its just going to get worse for Disney....

Just remember Disney PASSED at the Harry Potter series to go with The Chronicles of Narnia

11. Roger

The problem is that Universal isn't letting up. ; Although it's still just a "rumor", Universal is tearing up the path between Hogsmeade and the Amity Island Dig Site. ; The signs point to exactly what was rumored - the Hogwarts Express to connect the two theme parks between Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, with Diagon Alley's E ticket being the Gringotts Bank coaster. ;

Plus Universal is also porting their Transformers 3D ride to USF, so both IOA and USF would have that simulator ride (for those who haven't been, imagine Dinosaur/Indiana Jones Adventure with stops during the journey and 3D displays) rather than replace the existing one at IOA. ; Heck I think Transformers may even be ready before the Snow White coaster is ready.

So Universal isn't letting off the gas pedal, and I think TDLBV noticed it. ; I think there is something else other than "DVC members aren't going to the park as much anymore but they are still coming here".

12. Grumpwurst

Having got to experience CarsLand myself a couple weeks ago (wasn't able to do the E-ticket attraction due to the fact that I didn't have an opportunity to ride it alone since my wife's back problems wouldn't allow her the comfort to ride), I have to say that they did a fantastic job.

Now, my only negative comment was that I think space limitations may have limited their vision.

So, if they were to bring the concept to Florida, I would hope they would use the plethora of space at their disposal to take what was done at California and plus the heck out of it.

I'd like to see Radiator Springs plus more. ; It would be nice to see something related the World Grand Prix as well.

Let's no forget that there is a aviation themed movie being brought into the Cars universe. ; That should be taken into account. ; Let's face it, they did a themed land around what many consider a mediocre Pixar film (albeit merchandise bonanza) I'd challenge them to find some aspect from this airplane movie and have an attraction ready near it's release date to hit while the iron is hot.

13. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

I have said for years that Potter is going to really hurt Disney and people on these forums and others laughed at me ..

Potter is still going to hurt Disney, I know a couple of families that went down and spent most of the time in Universal vs Disney because of Potter .. now that they are expanding it and adding more ... its just going to help them.

14. Grumpwurst

I knew Potter was going to hurt them too. ; I think they misunderstood the power of a dissatisfied boy. ; I have seen personally that you can get a daughter to enjoy boy things but good luck getting a boy to participate and enjoy girly things. ;

So, when those boys get older and they have the choice of the Potter-themed land at Universal, the parents are going to go there rather than listen to him gripe his way through WDW.

Now, they might've been able to slow down the bleeding if they had decided to encourage their loyalists to keep coming and staying on resort property. ; Yet, they have still not entertained any ideas beyond the DVC, in general, to cultivate, reward and acknowledge their more loyals guests. ; Disneyland comes the closest in trying to do this because they have an extremely strong local guest count

15. Roger

But I wouldn't call Potter a boy thing. ; It bridges the gap; the smartest young wizard is female, and some of the most important characters are also female. ; Heck, Forbidden Journey starts with one of them casting a spell on you, the guests! ; The love stories help bridge the gap as well.

Disney made a smart move to put a 'thrill' ride in New Fantasyland, but I don't think a Snow White mine train is going to draw as many boys as they would hope. ; Their best bet is The Avengers, but alas that is doubtful for Florida.

/although I'm surprised that Disney hasn't played the 'The Avengers characters aren't the same as the ones you have rights to. ; You see Captain America? ; He looks nothing like yours. ; Thor? ; The same. ; The Hulk - again, not the same look. ; Black Widow, Hawkeye...etc.

"You don't have the rights to Joss Whedon's The Avengers; we do, so we can put them at WDW"

/if they are doing it, it won't be announced until right before groundbreaking or even as late as possible me thinks

16. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

It sounds as if there is going to be a big Disney push with the Avengers merch this christmas season, sonce you were speaking of it.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

17. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Yay - bring it on. ; I said it when Cars Land was first announced, and that area of land circled above was just my thinking for where it might go without sacrificing much of the existing structure of DHS. ; Don't forget too that they can use that forested land circled, and also do a little of the same move they used in Anaheim - consider a parking structure to increase parking area in a smaller space and use some of the former parking space for Cars Land. ; This way, they could build a vast majority of Cars Land without interfering with the existing DHS, or at least minimally...a la Fantasyland's expansion.

Having just gone to DHS Thursday night, it's begging for something in my opinion at least. ; I go to that park for 2, maybe 3 hours, and I'm done...it's 4th on my list of parks in order or favorite at Disney, and it's a fairly distant 4th. ; Cars Land would give DHS a full day on my schedule - or at least most of one.

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

My thoughts exactly. ; New Fantasyland had to be built within the existing park boundaries because the service area backs right up to the park. ; DHS doesn't have that problem other than re-locating a road which shouldn't be a big deal, so why not expand the park?