RIP Photoshop CS, hello Photoshop CC, only available to rent

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Roger, May 6, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I have become a big fan of PSP. ; MUCH cheaper and I think it is a lot easier to use.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attached Files:

4. PolynesianMedic

That's great!

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

hey Jeff! good to hear from you!

6. Roger

This is no big deal, if, IFFFFF you paid for the upgrade like clockwork. ; But many people would buy every other version, and this stops it.

I think the bigger problem is that Adobe KNEW what happened when they tried changing the upgrade policy to "you have to have the latest version in order to upgrade" and changed their mind.

But this happened anyway.

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I am running CS5.

8. PolynesianMedic

Thanks Craig! ; I have been working like crazy lately, and am in fact working now. ; I am cross training in the dispatch center and as I am working the over night shift now, I should be able to catch up on everything I have missed.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I heard the news and have decided to upgrade my copy of CS5 to CS6 and that's where I will stop. ; As a hobbyist, I could "justify" upgrading every 3 releases as was allowed prior to the introduction of CS6, but I can't justify renting at 3.5 times the cost of my old upgrade path or 1.2 times the annual upgrade path. ; When I exceed the limitations of CS6 I'll be looking for other options which will hopefully have developed by that time.

Unfortunately Adobe isn't the only company that has gone the subscription route. ; Autodesk was one of, if not the first to go that route with their AutoCAD software packages. ; Several years ago they went to a subscription model where you pay an initial license fee (about $7K) for each license and then pay an annual subscription which is $1K per license in order to receive the new and "updated" software package every year. ; They aren't the only ones that have gone that route either, we use Bluebeam which is a PDF software that is geared to the design & construction industry. ; The result has generally been that products are rushed out to keep up with the need for an annual release schedule and often are full of bugs that are fixed over the course of the year just to b replaced by new ones when the new version rolls out. ; Sometimes I think Autodesk is using all of us as their quality control department. ;

The upside is great for the software company in the annual subscription path because it guarantees them a steady income stream. ; And it works well for companies like Autodesk that are for all intents and purposes the only design software in town. ; Adobe doesn't fit that mold as well though because there are alternatives that are available. They are also unique in that where The Autodesk license leaves you with a working copy if you ever decide to end your subscription, Adobe does not.

I think they lost a lot of customers today. ; The question will be whether it was enough to hurt them long term or do they retain enough users that the higher license fee evens things out for them. ; We'll have to wait and see...

10. PolynesianMedic

The new version of Office 365 has also gone this route. ; For a fee of about $100 a year you get the upgrades

11. Roger

True, but for most casual users you could easily jump ship to Google Docs/Open Office, etc. ; Heck even Apple doesn't charge that much for their "Office" package. ; Microsoft hasn't learned that most people will keep their Office for 2 versions, mostly because people aren't upgrading computers every 1-3 years anymore. ; Then again, Microsoft hasn't learned much when it's forcing a touchscreen OS down the throat of corporate users, who aren't going to use touchscreens to work on spreadsheets and data entry. ; To make it worse, they are doubling down on it with Windows 9 (AHEM, sorry, Service Pack 1 of Windows 8, aka Windows Blue, which is due to be released later this summer.) when they go after the registry hacks people have found to make Win8 more... keyboard friendly. ; ALL they had to do was a simple "if keyboard/mouse detected, boot into desktop rather than Metro". ; That was a registry option in the consumer preview.

They took it out of the final build. ; Because they didn't want people to have that option.

Now the office could use a lot more people dancing around the boardroom. ; Because if we get a Surface Pro, that's what will happen, right?

For full PS, there isn't much out there; now for the casual user we'll see either increased development with something else, or a jump to Corel/Photoshop Elements with this.

12. HPS3

HPS3 Member

I just heard about this monthly fee thingy. Is it only for CS? I mainly use LR for everything even though I have a bootleg version of CS5 that works perfectly. I've used it once i think.

First Pentax..... now Adobe! I just purchased a K-5II in February and this past week Pentax decided to raise the prices of some of their lenses by as much as 30%. Good thing I already had my 43 f1.9 ltd. I paid $589 from Adorama and a few days later it's $749. What are they thinking?

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

It is only for the Creative Suite Programs (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc.). Lightroom and Photoshop Elements are still perpetual licenses for now...

14. Hockeyman

Hockeyman Member

Start calling you Bootleg Harry ; ;D ; I may or may not have done the same ; 8)

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I think Adobe is nuts doing this. I got PhotoShop CS6 last year using my daughter's Edu discount (actually, she got it and I am I keeping it for her on my computer. I am such a good Dad.). If and when I sit down and learn PS CS6, I am sure I will enjoy it for many years to come. ; :)

Adobe must feel they only need professionals and organizations who rely on their products every day to keep their bottom line and investors happy. ; LR and PSE will be for the masses.

Still find Aperture with a couple of plugins meets most of my needs. I do wish Apple would take this opportunity and come out with a new version with some of LR's tweaks. ; I know LR keeps adding Aperture tweaks. ; ;) BTW, Aperture is only $80 bucks with (so far) free upgrades for life and, yes, it is only for MAC OS systems which limits its market.

Other Mac PS alternatives are Pixelmator and Acorn.

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Happy with PSP myself...I always preferred its interface and haven't found much if anything that it can't do that Photoshop can. ; But I don't like the trend for Adobe, especially if they decide to un-perpetuate Lightroom's license.

17. ELinder

ELinder Member

Adobe just lost me. I'll stay with Photoshop CS6 for as long as possible. If Lightroom, which I'm just learning an liking, also goes subscription I'll go back to Aperture. I will never pay for a subscription software, especially one that makes me have to be online so it will work.

Erich

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

Erich, ; you don't have to be online for the Creative Cloud to work. They're giving you cloud storage and using the cloud to push down updates, but the software still resides on your computer. You only have to go online every so often (I think I read once every 180 days) for it to verify that your subscription is still active

19. ELinder

ELinder Member

Yeah, I saw that since posting. Still, I only updated every 3 versions or so, so this is more expensive for me. Not to mention the current version does everything I'd ever need.

Erich

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Erich, you're absolutely right about the cost. The only way it makes sense is if you we're using the entire suite and upgrading at every release. The people who did that will save money on the subscription, ignoring the fact that when you stop paying you can't access any Adobe proprietary files.