Request- Tim or other 5D user

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Assuming that your 5D arrives in time for Mousefest - I was starting to think about upgrading - esp with the double rebate.

But can you show me an example when you get back of the low-light capability of the 5D when compared to the 20/30D?

Thanks!

(I won't be able to attend since I'm going to WDW when my son is off school)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

it BETTER come in time for MF... :)
    it should be here by monday, so i will be able to let you know.
    i cant see there being that much of a difference in low light.

3. I don't have any samples but the high ISO noise on the 5D is far less compared to 20D/30D.

4. Tim

now THAT makes me happy. haunted mansion here i come (again)

5. Tim, although it's cleaner, I don't think it's going to help THAT much, maybe around half stop advantage.

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Huh?

I thought ISO 3200 was always ISO 3200.

Now if ISO 3200 on 5D is less noisy than 20/30D, which I take it is, that is an improvement.

7. Tim

as far as i know, and i could be wrong, the noise issue is at least partially dependant on the size of the photosites and how tightly they are packed together. i think that is why there is so much more noise on the tiny point/shoots. it's because their sensors are very small compared to d/slr's and the manufacturers cram every last pixel into that tiny chip. the d/slr chips are much bigger and thus their photosites can be larger in size, which reduces the noise. not to mention, i am sure that the more expensive camera's chips are better engineered and designed to justify the cost.

8. My mistake for being unclear. Yes, the ISO rating is the same, it's only the noise level that's half a stop better. What I mean to say is that at ISO 1600 (on the 5D) it'll be half way as clean but still not as clean as ISO800 on a 30D.

9. Tim

thats still a good thing, because a lot of my onride photos were at 3200 and i found that when processed correctly, yields a very nice image. so....if the noise levels are still 1/2 stop better than they already were...

10. I just can't wait for the next generation sensor. A Canon R&D guy was interviewed in Japan and he mentioned that the next gen's native ISO will be 6400. Imagine shooting at ISO 12800 on boost-mode!

11. Tim

12. Yup, that's about right. The noise level is about half a stop cleaner on the 5D compared to 20D.