POTD ~ Until I'm There Again Part III

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by NanasMama, Jan 10, 2012.

1. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

It has been 93 days since my last visit to WDW. During Christmas my MIL and I were so sad to have to wait an entire year to go back, that we decided to go in February this year! My FIL's birthday is March 1st, so our visit will straddle One More Disney Day and his birthday. I. Am. So. Excited!!!

I will admit that traveling with a toddler cramps both my computer time and my picture taking time. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. He's a total mess. Loves Mickey Mouse with all his heart. His word for happy is Mickey Mickey. So here I am 45 days from another trip home and I couldn't be happier.

I've been researching camera lenses and flashes. My little Nikon D50 is still going strong and I love my 35mm 1.8 lens, but I'm hankering for a zoom lens. And maybe a flash. I don't have a lot of cash and my husband might have a coronary, but I'm hoping to convince him I neeeeeed another lens. Something that's a little wider than 35 and zooms to a little past 50 would be perfect. In all my research I found the Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 28 mm - 80 mm F/3.3-5.6 Lens. It's lightweight and sharp according to Mr. Rockwell. And cheap which fits my pocketbook, LOL! Does anyone here have experience with this lens? Any response would be very welcome.

On my last trip I took two cameras. My Nikon D50 with the 35mm 1.8 lens, and a little waterproof Kodak Sport point and shoot for the water parks. We did both of them on this trip and it was a blast! The little Kodak performed just as I expected. It was fun but nothing to write home about. As my husband says, "A bad picture is better than no picture." And as I just went through my pictures to choose some for this countdown, I agree :).

And of course, this thread would be off to a terrible start without a picture. So here it is! My children with Minnie and Mickey. ; :-* I can't wait to be back!

[​IMG]

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

WB Amanda.

Not sure of your budget, but if age is no problem (i.e. an older lens), I'd look at the 28-105D. ; It has a wonderful macro capability (close focuses, not a true macro), and would have a longer reach than the 28-80 and is faster at the long end. ; Now *personally* I'd be looking at a wider lens but this is a good place to start. (wider because of the crop factor)

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Glad to see you back again, Amanda. Be sure to look for us on February 29 because a small contingent of members from the magic in pixels will be there to take advantage of the hours. It would be great to finally be able to say hi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

Thank you so much, Roger! I'm not worried about the age of the lens as long as it will auto-focus. I wear glasses and have never been able to manually focus any lens on my camera. I can't imagine adding manual focus to my list of things to do at Disney, LOL! I know what you mean about wider. I would love to go wider to get more in the frame, but I don't think my pocketbook could handle it. I'm off to research the 28-105D!

5. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

That sounds great, Tim! I told my daughter maybe we could go back after my 2 year old is asleep for the night. Her eyes got really happy :). Is there a thread with the meet-up plans?

6. gary

gary Member

consider going for an older excellent or like new lens via www.keh.com

quite a few of us are satisfied customers and trust their rating system completely, many of my canon L grade lenses were bought used from them

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

8. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

Thanks, Gary & Roger! I was just reading Mr. Rockwell's review of the 28-105. I'll check out KEH. I've never bought anything from there, but I'm willing to try :). Thanks again, guys!

9. gary

gary Member

i've never been unhappy with keh, and i've bought and sold probably 60-70 photo items over the years with them

they are very very conservative in their rating system, what they class as good, i would call excellent, like new means just like it ; came out of the box this morning

10. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

I'm enjoying looking at their inventory! Maybe I can get my husband to go for either the 28-80 or the 28-105. Thanks for guiding me to KEH!

11. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

12. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

I played around with my 18-55 and I think I'll be pleased with the 28-80. I bought one this morning! I'm going to play a little when it all gets here. I'm going to the library and pick up a book on how to use a flash, LOL. Here's my picture for the day: the second with that little Kodak camera. It really comes in handy when I'm chasing a 2 year old, LOL!

[​IMG]

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You might want to look into finding a Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S G. ; They are not easy to find as they are older and not made any longer. The extra wide end is great. It is my go to event lens like parties and such. ; Used it for all the AllEars events last month.

Here's an example, this was used with a Nikon SB-600 bounced off the ceiling.

[​IMG]

I would suggest looking for a good used SB-400 or SB-600 Speedlight. ; LensRentals.com recently had some SB-600's for sale around $170. ;

14. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

Thanks Scott! I will keep an eye out. I might want to change my mind. And since I paid nearly nothing for the 28-80, I can, LOL!

Here's my picture for today:
    [​IMG]

15. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

A bird of paradise at the Poly :).

[​IMG]

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Amanda, I really like that last one! ; Great colors! ; And you made the Guest Relations sign look very nice!

17. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

Thanks John!

18. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

This one was taken inside the lobby at the Poly.

[​IMG]

19. NanasMama

NanasMama Member

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Amanda, that flower is stunning! ; I need to take a good walk around the Poly for just shooting. ; The B&W works great with that Space Mountain shot! ; Excellent work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk