Pirates Lair official, DCA major rehab thru 2011

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

So the Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island is official. Mickey's stage for Fantasmic! will become a stage for a pirate show on the island (until Mickey's nightmare takes it over)

DCA apparently is getting the "complete" Toy Story Mania - it's not going to be in the vacant Millionaire soundstage, but rather behind Screamin', and they've been already clearing the ground for construction.

Plans include: New show on the Paradise Pier Lagoon "Wonderful World of Color" - think Bellagio fountains + fireworks + lasers

Cars Test Track to be built on the last remaining portion of the original DL parking lot (behind Bugs Land)

Retheming of most of park - Condor Flats to go bye bye and be included in the Teddy Roosevelt nature area (currently where the River ride/activity trails are)

Soarin' over California may become just Soarin'...depends on if the idea floated for Tokyo pans out... (and I'll bet that'll be the new film at Epcot)

Concept art for some these are included in the 2006 Annual Report, available at disney.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Dan

Dan Member

I just want to say that as a Disney fan who still isn't really involved in any other Disney sites, so I'm not really up on the Disney gossip except what happens to find its way to me through other channels.. I appreciate updates like these.
    I've never been to Disneyland, so far as I know (I know that when I was quite young I went to Universal Studios in California, but I'm uncertain whether I went to DL or not, I have no memories of it, but my time in WDW may have just overwhelmed any weak ancient memories of DL).. still I like to know what's going on there.
    So thanks for the info.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

pirates lair sounds good to me.... i will be in DL sometime in late june so i will be sure to see whats going on while i am there...

4. Roger

Good. You wouldn't want any memories of the 1998 Tomorrowland makeover.....{shudder}

5. Tim

yeah, i do have to admit that tomorrowland in disneyland really kind of, well, STINKS!

6. Roger

Stunk.

It's gone. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away. Even Paul Pressler isn't working for the Gap anymore (after running them into the ground)

Space Mountain is white again... (But Rock It! i mean Rockin!)

Star Wars/Star Tours is back as the mural instead of that .... whatever....

Buzz took over the Rocket Rods queue...

The subs will be back....

The only thing really "lost" is the Peoplemover, which cannot return in California unless it has a inversion-coaster style restraint system (otherwise someone could jump out really high up and that is the fault of Disneyland, not the idiot doing so....)

Autopia is now longer using the old Fantasyland track and a new theme/vehicles (compliments ChevronTexacoStandardOilwhomevertheyare).

7. Tim

well THAT is certainly good new. i remember in 2005 looking into tomorrowland (think ave. of the planets in WDW) and thinking.... wow, this is NOT good. but, it seems like hope is on the horizon, but they have to get rid of that ridiculous astro-orbitor in the front of tomorrowland. seems WAY out of place.

8. Roger

I don't think that is moving anytime soon.

9. Roger

Which reminds me Tim, have you seen Remember... yet?

10. Tim

yes, twice but never from MSUSA with the castle in the BG.... once from near IASW and the other from storybook land. fireworks over the castle are DEF. in the works for this visit...

RDCT fireworks were incredible... the music was awesome... A+

11. Roger

Okay - one of my woulda shoulda coulda would have been from the train station...but I think they reserve it every night for VIPs...but it has been a long time since DL's 50th...

Since they've taken the trees down the view has opened up...probably a perfect spot for the 24-105 esp with the MSUSA fireworks/lasers/flares

12. Tim

agreed. chisel that one in stone.

13. Roger

And hey, you're lucky... 1) They're releasing Pirates 3 in May this year rather than June, and 2) DL won't be closed for the premiere again. They're going to premiere it with the launch of Disney Cruise Lines: (Pirates of the )Mexican Riviera from LA/Long Beach harbor. C'mon, you know there had to be a reason why Disney ordered a third ship, especially with design changes... (Alaskan cruises need a different ship than Caribbean routes)