picnik.com

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by goofy101, Mar 18, 2007.

1. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Has any one used this service before? and is it any good? Over on this side of the pond its being labelled as a real threat to photoshop I have had a look, cant see it myself. Take a look

http://www.picnik.com/

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i can't see how this could be a threat to photoshop. i have never heard of/ used this service, but i would be skeptical about it. i like doing all my editing on my own computer, color corrected with a calibrated monitor. plus, i don't like paying monthly fees for things if i don't have to.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. mousefan

mousefan Member

Looks to me like it has more in common with iphoto than photoshop. I think Adobe is safe. ;)

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I read somewhere recently that Adobe might put a very lite version of Photoshop online. I would think Elements would be the lite version but maybe Adobe sees a need here. I certainly would love to have the ability to frame my images like I've seen PS users do but don't want to pay $600+ for it.

Okay...found this link: http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/01/technol ... /index.htm

It's even going to be free, at least, at the start. ;D Hmmm...anyone use Photobucket that can comfirm this?

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I tried out the latest version (11) of Picnik.com last night and was quite impressed. I didn't do much to the photo below. Just straightened and put a simple border around it. It is very easy to use and if they add the ability to watermark and add text, I might bite on the paid version when launched. Right now it's all free as it's in beta. I do like the fact I can do simple adjustments through an online interface from any browser. Come in handy during lunch at work. ;D

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Picnik.com has gotten to it's 1.0 release. There will be a Basic (free) version and a more advanced premium version with an annual fee of $25. Right now it's totally free so people can try it out. I did a little trying out again last night. The photo needed some basic editing (a little color enhancement and sharpening) then used Picnik's Matte Effects, Frame and Text tools to create the final work.

[​IMG]

BTW, Adobe seems committed to doing this on the web, too.

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

8. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Scott,

I think you have a typo in your Adobe Link Text. I'm sure you meant shift

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO!

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

:-[ Whoops! All fixed. Sorry about that, Tim!!!!

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

While I am waiting for either a new Macbook Pro to appear in front of me or some photo software I can afford to buy, I've been using iPhoto and Picnik.com to get by. Recently, Picnik.com added Curves to it's effects area.

Picnik.com gets curves

Now, how the heck do I use this? It has a few presets which are fun to play with. One is for a Velvia look which is neat. I guess I am wondering how to use this. Never had an editor with this capability before. Not sure how involved curves is in Photoshop, Picnik only can do RGB, Red, Green, Blue channels. Anyone know of a good curves tutorial?

12. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

I don't think Adobe has anything to worry about. Photoshop is a powerful art program as well, not just photo editing.