panasonic lumix G1 wdw christmas adventure

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by gary, Dec 8, 2011.

1. gary

gary Member

so i thought i'd start a little thread from my current trip, all photos taken with the panasonic lumix, it's first trip to disney, and a real test of what it can do. these next shots are from walking to dinner, and dinner at chef's de france, all with the 20mm f1.7, auto iso,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

panasonic lumix wdw christmas adventure

Now I'm hungry! ; Oh, the food looks great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gary

gary Member

Re: panasonic lumix wdw christmas adventure

thursday, 12/8/11, every disney day should start the same way, with a fresh brewed cup of timmy's
    using the 14-45mm, 28-90 in equivalent 35mm focal length, this is shaping up as the walk around lens for this camera

[​IMG]

epcot topiary, right by the graveyard

[​IMG]

jammitors at work

[​IMG]

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

You are getting some good shots with that little camera.

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

That is one big trash can just for duct tape ( middle Jammitor)....

6. Imaginerd

Imaginerd Member

You would be surprised what that holds together around the parks! Fun shots! I look forward to being there tomorrow if anyone else is around.

7. gary

gary Member

the lumix g1 can do fireworks, there are some limitations, which i'll probably go into in a review article that i'm going to write, but yeah, to my surprise a decent fireworks shot can be had. from main street, right on the first trash can, left side past casey's corner. using a step up ring and my vari-n-duo, dialed to about 1 3/4 stops. 4 seconds, at f8, 14mm focal length, 28mm in 35 equivalent

[​IMG]

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Wow! ; That's a nice shot, looks like you are giving that camera a good workout, with great results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. gary

gary Member

i'm really starting to like this camera rig, i'm also finding it's a pretty serious camera, it can do stage shows , or at least not too fast a scene, the hag from beauty and the beast. here i ventured into program mode, just to see what would happen, now i did tweak a little in lightroom, but the basic photo was right there, taken with the 45-200, i scored a middle seat only about 6 rows up

[​IMG]

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Another great shot Gary! ; Hope you are having a great time!

11. gary

gary Member

thanks john, having a great time, today is fly home so i'm just finishing packing up the owners locker, then off to dhs to ride the great movie ride and have some curry at the abc comissary, back to saratoga for a 3pm massage then 5pm dme pickup, hope to post up some more during airport wait time

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Looking forward to them!!! ; At least you have a pretty good day planned! ; Normally I am on my way home in the early am for most trips!

13. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I'm impressed Gary, that camera seems to be quite a nice addition

Another Incredible poster!

14. gary

gary Member

i'm getting more and more impressed with just what this small camera and it's range of lenses can do, this is not a toy, and while i haven't written the review yet, anyone looking to step up from a point N shoot, but doesn't want to haul around a heavy bag of lenses and accessories, has to give a mirrorless micro 4/3 system serious consideration
    scored a dead center, 6 rows up seat saturday for the last beauty & the beast of the day, 5:45 pm, using the 45-200 lens, on program mode, auto iso, which limits at 800. the witch from the end scene when she lifts the curse

[​IMG]

15. gary

gary Member

so the g1 can handle parades, at least daytime parades, ignore the file name, this is some kind of morning parade/celebration thing, i mislabeled it as the 3pm parade when i uploaded it. excuse me sir, what time is the 3 o'clock parade again???

modified to repair broken link when i removed the photos from phanfare and reloaded corrected photos, these are from the move it,shake it, celebrate it parade, magic kingdom mornings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Neat little things, these mirrorless cameras, aren't they!? ; I've definitely enjoyed adding one to my arsenal, to supplement the DSLR, and even go in its stead. ; There are only a few areas in which it doesn't compete as well, such as tracking action and movement, but otherwise can fully stand in for a DSLR in a much lighter and smaller package.

Again last week I spent my first day at Disney carrying only the NEX around - and brought it along for DHS and the Osborne lights. ; No regrets, as it did a fantastic job, all handheld, and I didn't miss the DSLR at all that day. ; I ended up taking the DSLR each of the other 3 days, mainly because it was my first time having the A580 at Disney and I wanted to give it a workout, but I can definitely see alternating between the two, or even bringing both along, on future Disney trips.

Nice work - good to see you pushing it to its limits too - there's no better way to get to know a camera.

17. gary

gary Member

thanks justin, i'm becoming more and more convinced that mirrorless sytems are going to be a real sea change in photography, i predict 10 years from now improvements will have us carrying around cameras with pro lenses and body features weighing half or less than our current dslr rigs
    these below are all from holliday wishes, tripod mounted, on the first trash can on the left side of the street past casey's, yes they have been cropped and color tweaked, but the tweak is a preset i've developed in lightroom that i have have worked on for awhile, i even named it FIREWORKS DISNEY. but the basic iq had to be there from the camera to give me working material
    the last isn't here for it's artistic merit, it's just to show that if i had put on the wide 7-14, which in 35mm field of view is 14-28, i probably could have zoomed out for the perimeter bursts. that's something i'll be researching in early march, i have some dvc points i need to use up and it's enough for another one of my short trips. i have already decided that the g1 will be the disney camera of choice for the next 2 trips. karen and i will be there 4/16-4/22 for her birthday and our 22nd anniversary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Awesome shots Gary! ; Love the second one in this set!

19. Chris B

Chris B Member

Very nice. ; Need to look into the mirrorless camera. ; Thanks for the inspiration.

20. gary

gary Member

thanks everyone for the encouragement,
    so you don't get this shot too often

[​IMG]