OMG Hope to take kids to Disney in October WOO HOO

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by myasmum, Jan 6, 2010.

1. myasmum

myasmum Member

We have NOT gone since 2007 and that was our families 1st vacation (without going to see inlaws) and the kids LOVED it, it did rain MOST of the time we were there BUT I am hoping and TRYING to plan to take them for our daughter 12th Birthday near end of October AND do Halloween down there ALL the kids say they want to go back but next time fly (as we drove before and was in the summer)

Has anyone stayed at Port Orleans Riverside?
    I am thinking dinner plan is good but want to hear feedback?
    Flying from Buffalo when is it good to get good deals for October (if any)?
    How is the Halloween down there as we want to go actually on the 31st?

ANY other feedback is great as last time we rented a house offsite BUT want to stay onsite for this time as special occasions

Thanks Robyn & Kids

2. amw

amw Member

We're staying at POFQ in March, I'll let you know.

We stayed onsite last time, and only in condos all previous trips. All have plus & minus -- condos are much better value for space and quality. However, you need access to a car and it feels less-trip-like to feel like you need to prepare meals and clean up. For the sole reason of ease of transpotation, we're staying onsite. I don't however consider onsite any magical than offsite because it's all a disney trip to me! ;;)

That being said, if you are staying onsite and don't have access to a car, then the Dining plan is the only way. Eating at Disney is super-expensive otherwise. It does mean organizing your dining plans and making advance reservations. We had the Plan last time, and weren't impressed with what Disney offers for sit-down meals - nor with committing to locations six months out. You have the option of a counter-service only meal plan as well - if you don't want sit-down each day. This trip we are not getting the Plan, but we'll have access to a car so we can eat better food cheaper offsite. ;You may be able to get Free Dining in October.

We're flying from Buffalo for the first time this March too. You should be able to get great deals for October. I think they get released 3-4 months prior.

I have been in Sept and Nov, but not October -- the Fall has always been a great time for visits. Generally nice weather and less crowds. I don't know how all the deals and Free Dining have changed crowd levels though. Someone else would have to get back to you on that.

Happy planning! ; :)

3. we've stayed onsite and offsite in our many times at Disney (17 times and counting, thus far) - onsite is the only way I'll go now. ; And we always get the dining plan - still worth it, despite all the changes over the years.

4. realfam

realfam Member

Flying from Buffalo is fantastic! ; You may wanna start searching for flight with jetBlue and Airtran fairly soon. ; Southwest probably not until april.

October is a fantastic time to go. ; A little piece of advice though, if you plan to MNSSHP, especially halloween night, buy your tickets in advance because they will sell out. ;

5. deblen4

deblen4 Member

We've stayed onsite at Port Orleans FQ and also at Riverside. I liked both, FQ is a smaller resort. Both have nice pool areas, access to other activities and I liked being able to take the boat ;to Downtown Disney. On some trips we buy the food plan and on others we don't, depending on who is going -light eaters or if it's our 20's kids then the food plan saves us money. My mom thinks a bowl of soup is a meal, so the dining plan does not work for her.
    We find selecting the nicer sit down restaurants where we want to eat part of the fun of planning a Disney trip.
    Our last trip was in October and weather was very good, not too hot, maybe a light jacket or sweater at night. Lots of Halloweeen decorations.
    We always fly out of Buffalo, usually Southwest, (Jet Blue when we leave next week) or with who ever has the lowest fair. ; Less busy than Toronto and you are already through US customs, so you don't have to be at the airport as early.

6. obo101

obo101 Member

MNSSHP is worth the visit in October on it's own, in my opinion. ; Great Parade, fireworks and the crowds are relatively light!

7. scratch

scratch Member

If you plan on doing MNSSHP on the 31st, don't wait to purchase your tickets! ; This is the one night that usually sells out early!

Great time to go and then you'll also be able to enjoy the Food & Wine Festival too!

8. myasmum

myasmum Member

When would you usually book your flight as I see Jet Blue has a deal until Oct 31st but we would be coming back Nov 2nd which they dont have yet. ; So yeah wondering how far in advance we should book

Thanks

9. realfam

realfam Member

If you think the price is great (ie $69 each way), book it! ; Remember you do not have to book it return. ; You can book going down with one airline and your return flight with another airline. ; Whatever works best for you. ; We always look for direct flights only. ; Good luck