New printer

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by haunteddoc, Mar 12, 2007.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Well, my old printer is now so old that I am having trouble finding ink for it. So, I guess I need to replace it. Any recommendations on a photo printer or a multi-function printer, with fax, that does good photo printing?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Ahh....jack of all trades but master of none.

I have the 5610 from HP, it is printer/copier/scanner/fax. The cartridges don't cost too much as compared to the past, but for photos you have to switch out the black for a photo ink cartridge.

But it's not my favorite for printing photos. I've had better in the past. It would probably be better to look at a photo dedicated style printer. But you won't have the fax.

3. gary

gary Member

just had my epson 785 exp die on me last week, had to really think hard about a replacement, in the end i went for the cheapest lexmark i could find, $49.95, prints text like a charm

i don't print enough photos anymore to justify owning a photo quality printer, if not used regularly the nozzles clog, paper and inks cost stiff amounts

bottom line: unless you print more than 60 8x10 a year, far cheaper to burn to cd and take to big box store kiosk
    i printed less than 10 last year, and for bigger archival quality it's available by mail at pretty competitive prices

4. HW

HW Member

here is a site that reviews printers. http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html

I use a canon i9100 that is 3 years old and I sometimes dont print anything for several weeks and I have never had a clog problem. The i9100 has been replaced by the i9900 and now another model which I believe uses a new ink that is less prone to fading but I haven't had that problem either but that may be due to humidity and other problems in certain areas so your milage may vary there. I have 4 friends that own canon photo printers and they all rave about them. Tim has seen my prints at 11x14 and 12x18 but I will let him speak about that. I also use red river paper rather then canon paper as I find it has much more detail and better color. Anyway enough babling on my part and good luck in your search

5. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I still use an HP Photosmart 7960 for my usual printing needs. I've looked a larger format "pro" type printers, but it just doesn't make economic sense given how few times I ever need to print greater than A4. For printing photos, this printer does what I believe is a very nice job. The newer model Photosmart printers incorporate multifunction technology, and would be worth a look. For instance, if you're a Costco guy, they carry a couple different "all-in-one" scanner/fax/printer Photosmart models at very reasonable prices. I personally would go with a Photosmart branded all in one over a deskjet, but probably because I'm just a sucker for branding - I just assume the Photosmart works better for photos. Going with Costco is nice because if you're even remotely dissatisfied, you can bring it back for a full refund for any reason whatsoever.

You used to be able to return at any time - even years later ... though now I think they are limiting to returns to 90 days.

6. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Ive got a Canon ip4200 it great no clog great photos and the ink last for ages.