NEW ARTICLE: Creating a Gallery Frame

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Tim, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

A new article that shows you step-by-step how to create a gallery frame in Photoshop.
    READ THE ARTICLE HERE!

Discuss it here!

[​IMG]

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Sweet! Thanks for posting this!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. JeremyES

JeremyES Member

Cool. I will be trying this when I get home!

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nicely done Tim! Thanks for sharing this

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

Thanks for sharing Tim! Def will be very handy once I can upgrade from iPhoto!

6. Paul

Paul Member

Yes Thanks Time, this is nice. Has anyone confirmed this works in Photoshop Elements yet?

7. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Thanks Tim. Had a question though. When you are expanding the copied layer and adding the stroke, do you have to fill the selection with white and then use multiply blending mode to get it to work?

8. Tim

no, sir. that's way too complicated. i tried to keep it as straightforward as possible.

9. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

OK then. Thanks Tim. Really enjoy the articles.

10. Paul

Paul Member

Having a bit of a problem with this using Photoshop Elements 6 (Mac). When I try to execute step 11 & 12, as I select and drag out, the entire image expands, not just the marching ants.

One problem could be that PE6 does not have a simple Transform Selection option under Select.

PE6 has: Image > Transform (Free Transform, Skew Distort, Perspective) I used Free transform

PE6 also has: Select > Modify (Border, Smooth Expand, Contract) I tried using the expand option by 60 pixels which did expand the selection without the imaging getting expanded, but the corners end up rounded which ended up making the stroke rounded as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

11. Tim

free transform modified the selection and selected area. you only want to transform the selection. look for (possibly) something called transform selection (ctrl+T).

12. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks Tim. I did try and find that command, but apparently it is one of those features that the full PS has and Elements does not. There are some plugins/extras available for PS Elements called Elements+ that claim to "unlock" hidden features within Elements and Transform Selection is one of those.

I worked around it, but it was painful. I will pursue other methods and see if i can make it a bit easier.

[​IMG]

13. Paul

Paul Member

Happy to report that I found an easier way to come up with this frame using Photoshop Elements 6. Since PE6 does not have the transform selection tool available like Photoshop does, it needs to be added via an action. There are many sites which provide a Transform Selection action which allows PE6 users to mimic the same function as provided in the full Photoshop. As I understand it, any Photoshop CS3 action can be run in PE6.

The free tools I added are available here:
    http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challe ... index.html

I can provide the PE6 tailored instructions for this frame if anyone desires.

[attachment deleted by admin]