MVMCP Parade Tips

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Scottwdw, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

We need a How to for Disney Photo Tips Forum or something.

I will be at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party a week from Sunday. I want to get pictures of the parade as it comes down Main Street USA. I know you guys have set up in front of the tree. I have a few questions...

1. I will be photographing the late parade at 10:30pm. How soon should I get to the sweet spot?

2. I need help with settings. I will be shooting in RAW with a full-frame camera (Nikon D750) with f/4 lenses in the 24-120 and 16-35 focal length ranges.

3. Any processing tips? I am now using Lightroom CC and can download Photoshop CC if I need it.

Thanks for your help!

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I would suggest you head there right after Holiday Wishes. As for settings, you have much better gear than I use, I would reach out to @donsullivan if you don't get any any help here, he uses similar gear and does this a few times a year.

3. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

Scott,

As I noted early and for others who might be interested. I'm by no means the best at this, but a few notes from my experience:

- If you are looking for the under-the-tree location with the shot straight down MSUSA (see below), you should be prepared to get there immediately after the end of the first parade. The entire island in Town Square is blocked off for the Dessert party for the first parade but opens up immediately after that parade ends. When I was there a few weeks ago, this is what I did and then I just camped there through the fireworks and then the second parade. Look for the metal cap where the rope post will be installed and stand right there.
    - The f/4 lenses may be a little challenging as it's not nearly as bright as some shots you've seen from others might appear. In my case I typically use lenses that range between f/1.4 and f/2.8. Anything darker than that is likely either push your shutter speed too slow, or force the ISO too high (even for a D750)
    - I typically use Shutter Priority, 1/125 minimum, F1.4 - f/2.8, ISO Auto with max of 6400, Matrix metering (be prepared to adjust this based on the performance of your lenses). Lighting in this location is more even and brighter so spot metering isn't typically required.

Here are 2 shots I took when I was there a couple of weeks ago. The settings for each shot can be found below the image for reference. Most of the shots are cropped for subject matter.

D81_5612-Edit.jpg
    Nikon D810, Nikon 70/200 f/2.8 VRII, 116mm, f/2.8, 1/125, ISO4500

D50_7911-Edit.jpg
    Nikon D500, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, 36mm, f/2.8, 1/125, ISO6400

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

@donsullivan, thank you for sharing your advice and images. They are spectacular!

Man...should have rented a 24-70 f/2.8 lens for this opportunity. Will have to make due with the old Nifty-Fifty and shoot a bit farther up the street depending on subject. Stop it down to f/2.8. Of course, there's always the Sigma 15mm Fisheye which is a f/2.8 lens. :D

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's my first editing attempt in LR CC only. Need to really work on these. Used a Nikon D750 with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty-Fifty) lens manually set at 1/125s and f/2.8. Used single point focus and evaluated exposure. Auto ISO up to 6400. You'll all be happy to know I was shooting in RAW. A departure for me.

[​IMG]
    ISO 5600

[​IMG]
    ISO 5600

[​IMG]
    ISO 6400

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

BTW, @donsullivan, the Toy Soldiers marched all over the place last night and very close to the band. They never lined up for the great photo you got. It happened in both parades last night. Must have had the "B" group last night. o_O

jbwolffiv likes this.
  7. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

Great shots. Looks like you've found a setup that worked well for you.

Yeah, this is part of the randomness of shooting these parades. It becomes the luck of the musical cues and how close the parade units are when they go past you; I've run into variations on that with the Dwarf's as well where once last year I got all 7 in a row twice in the same night. That has only happened on that night, despite all the years I've been shooting this parade.

Scottwdw likes this.
  8. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for the tips Don and Scott! I'll give them a try in two weeks!

Scottwdw likes this.
  9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Face character parade photos...same lens and exposure with ISO noted.

Queen Elsa
    [​IMG]
    ISO 2800

Cinderella
    [​IMG]
    ISO 4500

Santa Claus (I moved over in front of the train station for this one and got better lighting on his face)
    [​IMG]
    ISO 6400

mSummers and Chernabog1940 like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Administrator Staff Member

Nice Shots Scott

Scottwdw likes this.