MK night shots

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Dan, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Dan

Dan Member

I've been told that I should post these.. it makes sense, since I've just posted some of my Epcot night shots.
    I've already lamented in my introductory post that I'm bummed that I won't be able to make the Magic Kingdom night photo tour during Mousefest. This is why. I think that Magic Kingdom is potentially the best park for night photography, although Epcot is comes pretty close. So far I've only had time to do night shooting in Tommorowland. Everywhere else I've always been with a group at night with no time for me to stop and set up my mini tripod. I'd like to be able to see how everyone else deals with the challenges of night photography in Disney World. Since I won't be arriving in time to make that meet I can at least post some of my Tommorowland stuff.
    I want to comment on the light trail picture in particular. I thought it was interesting. As far as I can tell, that's what you get when you take a long exposure of a scene while a cast member wearing lighted merchandice walks past through the frame. I think that was someone wearing those glowing necklace things all over their body. I don't think I intended for this to happen at all, I think I was in the mindset of trying to avoid things like that.
    Also the shot of the top of the astro orbiter has become a favorite of mine. As I also said in my introductory post, I'm rather artistically limited. This is one of the few times I feel I've stepped out from my habit of taking the obvious pictures and went for something a little different. It's rather noisy.. either I seriously underexposed it or else I brightened the sky too much in post process, but still it came out okay.
    Comments on the color balance are especially welcome. I'm not that great at color balancing, and while I did everything I could here I'm not convinced I got it right. The strong red and blue lighting scheme is difficult to deal with, especially in the shot looking out into the entrance to Tommorowland. That scene looks too pinkish to me.
    For random trivia purposes, I think every single one of these pictures was taken from on top of a trash can. The tripod I use is VERY small, it's really more of a tabletop tripod. So I'm limited in my night scenes to what I can achieve with the available platforms. More often than not a garbage can is what I end up using. The method is not without its pitfalls, I got so focused on looking at the scenery around me that I didn't pay enough attention to the garbage cans and I almost set my tripod into a pool of melted ice cream.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

what was in the top photo that made that "ghost" in the middle?

3. Dan

Dan Member

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it was one of the cast members who walk around selling their light-up merchandise at night. Normally they have a cart that displays all the stuff, but I saw one person walking around completely covered in lights. I think it was from those glowing necklace type things, wrapped around his or her arms and legs and everything.
    Whatever the light was from, the person was covered in it and was walking around. It was almost like a mini light parade, it was quite spectacular.
    If the lights were flashing that might explain the odd nature of the trail, how it's many short blurs of light rather than one long trail.

4. Tim

here's one of my from tomorrowland...

avenue of the planets at night...

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

5. gary

gary Member

here's one of mine from mousefest 2005, during mickey's very merry christmas party, taken from the left side of castle

6. gary

gary Member

cinderellabration

castle forecourt show, i may have mispelled the name, also from mvmcp, mousefest 2005
    gary

7. Tim

cinderellabration...

i am sorry to see it go...neat show, GREAT music, and the little firework shot added a weenie to the weenie...it always seemed to be playing when we were walking by the castle. but...the new mickey show has gotten some good reviews so we shall see. never saw cindybration at night though...

8. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Looks like TRON went jogging through Tomorrowland. ;) Very cool.
    ==========================================
    Tomorrowland
    [​IMG]

Cinderella's Castle directly after Hallowishes
    [​IMG]

9. Tim

tomorrowland at night really is awesome...nice shot, keep 'em coming. i never though of getting a tomorrowland shot from that vantage point...

now i have something to do at MF night tour.

10. not Tomorrowland but MK at night nevertheless.

[​IMG]

11. found one of Tomorrowland

[​IMG]

12. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

No need for explanation. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. joedisney

joedisney Member

beautiful work dawholagn :)

14. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Thank you! ;D

15. joedisney

joedisney Member

Ok, here are a couple of mine,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Wowzers! I love that shot of Space Mountain. The composure is fantastic. Even the water fountain in front looks like it's attached to the attraction in some way!

17. sstjean

sstjean Member

Here's one of the Castle from the bridge to Liberty Square. I just caught it as the lights went down and then started to cycle back up at the top.

18. Tim

i love that angle. welcome to the forums!

19. joedisney

joedisney Member

One more..the celebration castle...that bling is gone now...
    [​IMG]