Macro in the parks?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by BorisMD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Hi all -- it's been a long time since I posted (life gets in the way of photography -- ugh). ; Anyway, I have the opportunity to borrow a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro from work. ; Do you all think there will be much utility in taking this to Disney? ; I'll have it on a 7D (cropped sensor).

Thanks,

Boris

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Hi Boris, short of Flower & Garden, it's really limited for Macro stuff. ; I had that lens too and had very little use of it at WDW. ; Now, with a crop sensor you can use it for things like Fantasmic! (just sit closer) and other stage shows.....

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Not likely too much use...of course, there are always the occasional flower or bug to be found in the parks or resorts, so if you really like that type of photography, you could easily spend part of the day just roaming around taking bug and flower closeups. ; But in general, macro is probably not a widely needed lens. ; Now, the 100mm focal on crop body could find some uses - it could be usable at some shows, such as L,M,A, or Indy Jones...you don't need megatelephoto for those. ; And it could be fun to take occasional closeup details of signs, statues, building details, etc with nice blurred backgrounds. ; But I'd suspect it's more a specialty lens to use when you have time to do nothing but stroll taking photos, or someone like me who goes to Disney often and can always get a shot I miss next time.

4. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Thanks guys. ; That's kinda what I was thinking. ; Our clinic's dermatologist left us after a year, and he has two DSLR bodies, two of the macro lenses and two ring flashes that he had to leave behind. ; Because I work in a large system, I can't even offer to sell them for the clinic on some site like Fred Miranda. ; The stuff is like new with all the boxes/cards/etc. ; It's all just sitting in a locked cabinet. ; I volunteered to babysit the lens as long as needed.

Boris