LR 4.0 beta

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by haunteddoc, Jan 11, 2012.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Anyone tried the new LR 4.0 beta release? ; After just a quick glance it looked like the only thing new was being able to do books and map pics. ; Did not really get much further than that. ; Anyone else given it a spin?

2. gary

gary Member

i might give it a try this weekend, not too happy about the release as adobe forces you to buy the update if it's a new number series. i have version 3.6, unless this offers a lot more stuff i won't spend the money at this point, i'm still bent at adobe over the cs5 extortion attempt

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

From what I have seen so far, it doesn't really offer anything more that I would want or need. ; Probably will not spend the money for the upgrade.

What extortion? ; Did I miss something?

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Doc, effective immediately Adobe said that if you want to have an upgrade price for CS 6, you *have* to have CS 5 or 5.5. ; No more version jumping.

I'm sure they will have the same policy for Lightroom. ; If you don't buy the upgrade to 4 you would have to pay full price for 5.

5. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

WOW!! ; Somebody is getting greedy.

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I wouldn't call it greedy per se, but rather a reflection on how the marketplace has reacted.

There used to be a time when each MAJOR upgrade version had so many improvements that people wanted to upgrade. ; Now it's clear that many people are "Nope, I don't need to upgrade for just THAT."

So they lose the revenue and time spent coding for that upgrade. ; So rather than actually...you know...add features that would make people want to upgrade, they'll do this. ; They have been doing something similar with Elements for a while now....

Oh, you replaced your D50 with a D7000? ; Oh well, you'll need the latest version of ACR to process the files from it. ; And that ACR isn't compatible with any version less than 10!

(still bitter over losing Elements 2.0 lol)

The times of Bibble - where they announced in September 2006 they were working on version 5, so anyone who bought version 4 from that point on got a free upgrade to 5. ; 5 Came out in 2009, and they are giving us a $20 upgrade to the new Corel AfterShot Pro. ; (through 1/31)

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I'm downloading it now. ; I'll see if I like it better than 3. ; I had a hard time figuring it out.

8. Paul

Paul Member

9. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Thanks I will have to check that out. ; I played a little with it, and so far I seem to be finding my way around a little better then the last time. ; I will go check out that tutorial and see how I do after that.

11. gary

gary Member

12. Paul

Paul Member

more details here on the update highlights, shadows, clarity sliders alone look great; I was never a big fan of fill light

http://kelbytraining.com/unveil