Looking for first telephoto lens

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by Stryker412, May 25, 2011.

1. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I'm researching telephoto lenses for my new Canon T3. I can't afford a heck of a lot right now but I was trying to find a nice "budget" lens that will at least be decent for me for now.

I was looking at a Tamron 70-300mm. I was wondering if I could get some opinions on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... _6_Di.html

2. HW

HW Member

I use that lens as a medium telephoto on my D90 and love it. very sharp. check amazon too. I got mine for 300 on there
    here is a pic I took with it

Attached Files:

3. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Wow that's an incredible picture! How far do you think you were standing from the hawk?

4. HW

HW Member

thanks I was about 6 ft away from it

5. HW

HW Member

here is another at full zoom from about 12 ft

Attached Files:

6. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I borrowed my brother in law's Canon 70-300 today to test out the range and see if I like it (if I get the Tamron). Here is a quick picture I took.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. HW

HW Member

here is a few I took at the refuge today to give you an idea of the range
    first is a great egret at about 60ft and the 2nd is a snowy egret at about 20 ft no cropping done to either pic and both taken at full zoom

Attached Files:

8. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Here are some more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  9. gary

gary Member

i'll throw a little opinion out here, as i shoot canon, i feel somewhat qualified

how soon do you need/want this lens, i ask because if you can wait, there are several very good otions

1. check out www.keh.com , several of us forum members have been satisfied customers over the years purchasing used lenses from them

2. the lens you might want is the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 IS, this is a great lens for the price, i just checked keh, they have several for around $400, in excellent shape, and keh is notoriously conservative on their grading. if you are interested in this lens, go on over to my site, to the 2007 med cruise gallery, i took all the tele shots in europe with this lens mounted on a rebel ti

3. really save those dollars until you can get the new 70-300 f4.5-5.6 L IS, this is the replacement lens, just came on the market last fall, i went to b&h to look, handled it in the store on a 5d, took a few test shots, and went home with it that day, right on the spot. downside, it's $1600. but the sharpness, and the focus speed are just spot on. i still have the older non L lens, it's in good shape, i might be willing to do a deal.

4. stay away from the older 75-300 and the non is 70-300, those were really inferior product, the 75-300 had one of the shortest product lifespans ever for canon, i think within 2 years they put out the IS model

hope this helps, remember GOOD GLASS, TAKEN CARE OF, LASTS A LONG TIME AND HOLD ITS VALUE

10. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Try before you buy. ; I highly recommend LensRentals.com, a sponsor of Pixelmania 2009.

11. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

The one I borrowed from my BiL was the Canon EF 70-300 IS 4-5.6. I think it took some great shots. Is the Tamron not a good lens? $1600 for a starter telephoto lens is way out of my range.