Last 2 Shuttle flights delayed

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Roger, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The next to last one is now scheduled for when I'll be at WDW. ; :)

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'm hoping for a two-week delay on that Nov. 1 launch. ; Sorry, Scott.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I can't believe that i am going to be living there for these two. ; I can assure you that i will make at least one!

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I can see we are going to have words about this, Dennis. ; ;) ; Well, I hope one of us gets a shot at it.

Hey, let's give a Erich a buzz and see how we go about this, Jeff.

6. ddindy

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

TMIP group trip!

For those who PM'd me, Tapatalk pm's aren't working.

Scott,

I'm most likely going to drive to somewhere along the coast to see this one, possibly Space View Park. Since I bought causeway tickets for the last 2 launches, I thought I'd try a different perspective. You're more than welcome to drive over with me, but realize it'd be an all day thing. Drive over very early that day and sit in the sun all day to make sure we get an unobstructed place to set up tripods.

Also, consider buying a causeway ticket from one of the tour companies like Dolphin tours that have pickup locations like Downtown Disney. Expensive, but convenient and worth it.

As for lenses, there's no such thing as too much reach. Since it's a daylight launch, a wide or long exposure probably would't be a particulary dramatic photo, so I'd go for telephoto. From the coast, I'd say 400mm + crop factor at a minimum.

Erich

8. PolynesianMedic

Should be interesting, I will definitely be looking for further info as it all gets a little closer. ; I really would like to get to see a launch before they are over with. ; We tried years ago as kids with my parents but the countdown got to t-minus 9 minutes and got scrubbed because of weather. ; Of course we couldn't stay to see the next date because we were leaving the day after that one to go home.

9. ddindy

10. PolynesianMedic

Thanks for the info! ; I will be registering in the AM when I get home, because my work system is blocking the verification system image, and won't play the audio. ; I hate my work IS people.

11. ELinder

ELinder Member

My cousin from Germany is most likely going to be here during the Nov launch attempt, so both he and I registered for the launch ticket lottery. Anyone who is chosen has the chance to buy up to 6 tickets if you respond early enough, ie, immediately.

Anyone interested in a group trip if one of us is chosen?

Erich

12. PolynesianMedic

I just went there, and registration is now closed. ; I guess I'll have to try and catch the next one in Feb.

13. ELinder

ELinder Member

Both I and my cousin successfully registered, so if one of us is chosen, we could buy extra tickets for whoever wants to go, since we only need 2. The only thing is that we'd have to drive there together, as I think only 1 car pass is issued per ticket group.

Erich

14. ELinder

ELinder Member

Well, neither I nor my cousin got selected in the ticket lottery, so no group trip, sorry. He, and his wife, both really want to see the launch during their trip from Germany, so we bought causeway tickets from Gator Tours. It took me over 2 and a half hours of trying to get connected to their website. When I called to ask, they said tickets were only being sold online, not by phone, and the site was being slammed by what he said were tens of thousands of people all trying to get online. And of course, by the time I thought to post it here, they had sold out of the causeway tickets. Sorry again. ; :(

Erich

15. PolynesianMedic

AH! ; Oh well, there is always the February launch for us that live here. ; I hope that there is still someplace that you can take your cousin and his wife to see the launch still. ; I am sure we will see some streak of light from here in Clermont. LOL!

16. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

FWIW, Space.com is reporting that the President signed NASA's new budget yesterday, and that it gives them funding for one more shuttle flight.

It supposedly locks in their plan for an asteroid mission by 2025, and Mars by the 2030s.

17. ELinder

ELinder Member

Well, this is definitely one of those, I'll believe it when it actually happens, things There's been so many course changes, abandoned projects, and underfunding, that I doubt it'll happen as it is now planned.

On a better note, November is going to be a good month for watching launches. Nov 1 shuttle, Nov 5 a Delta ; heavy, and Nov 8 a Falcon rocket. Assuming no shuttle slips, that is.

Erich

18. ddindy

I arrive Nov. 11, just in time to miss all the excitement!

19. ELinder

ELinder Member

Doh! Fear not, both the Delta and Falcon have been delayed numerous times, so you stll have a chance at seeing one of them.

Erich

20. ELinder

ELinder Member

More delays for the expendable rockets. Falcon/Dragon is now targeted for 8 Nov, and the Delta 4 for 16 Nov.

As the Delta looks to be a night launch, currently from 8pm to Midnight launch window, I'm definitely driving over to photograph it. If anyone wants to tag along, let me know.

Erich