lag time between pushing the button and capturing the image

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by TinkAttitude, May 10, 2007.

1. TinkAttitude

TinkAttitude Member

hi all! novice question from novice photographer:
    why does it take so long between the time i push the button and when the actual image is captured on my sony point & shoot digital camera (and others too)? with young kids it is so hard to capture the great smiles because the image doesn't even get taken until i'm long done saying, 'smile' and they actual do - but it's too late. are there point & shoot cameras that are still pocket size that 'go' faster? thank you!
    :-\

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. HW

HW Member

I would say it is probably the time it takes to focus that is the major culpret

3. TinkAttitude

TinkAttitude Member

hmmm - i have tried half depressing the button so that i am already focusing on the subject - is that what you mean? it's just so frustrating to feel like i'm missing the picture (haha) - i also teach 2 year olds in a nursery school and am forever agonizing to get good shots of them... so is there an auto point & shoot digital camera that can more quickly capture photos? thanks for your time! i appreciate it!

4. HW

HW Member

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i believe its just a matter of the electronics. best way you can avoid this problem and be able to grow photo-wise for the future would be to purchase a digital rebel xti. this way if you ever wanted to start doing more, you already have the camera.

6. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Tink - I don't know the excact technical reason why, but I suspect it has something to do with the compact sensor in the P&S ... because there doesn't seem to be anyone who has an "instant" P&S. After suffering through 8000 pictures of my first son where I "just missed" the magic moment, I finally broke down and got a Rebel (as Tim recommends) last year before the birth of my second child. Best investment ever. DSLRs are absolutely instant - turn it on and snap a picture in under 1.5 seconds. No "lag" at all, so you'll never, ever "miss" the shot. If you are even remotely interested in photography, I highly recommend it as well.

The only downside is you might find, as I did, that you like photography too much. Then before you know it that $650 investment becomes $3500 worth of flashes, lenses, and gear. If a DSLR is something you'd consider, here's some good reasons to go DSLR over point and shoot: http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/308/

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Well, I'll be both the voice of reason to some degree, and also the main Disney Villain for this thread (oh, I will be hated! Enmity will ensue!).

First off, the reason - I'm not sure exactly which P&S Sony you have, since they have 20+ models, and they vary greatly - from ultra-compacts to standard compacts to slimlines to ultrazooms. There is not much uniformity between them just because they are by Sony - some are ultra-fast, some slow; some have excellent glass, others average; some handle low light very well, some stink in it.

But there are things you can do to improve the performance of your P&S camera, even if it is one of the lesser models. First off, as you mentioned trying - half-pressing the shutter will definately speed up the operation. Fully pressing a shutter in a P&S camera forces the camera to: meter the scene, decide on an aperture, ISO, and shutter speed to use, approximate white balance, focus, and shoot. That's alot of decisions the camera has to make all from one press of the shutter - which results in a lag. But if you half-press first...by anticipating the shot you want to take, you force the camera to do everything except take the picture...so when you fully press the shutter the rest of the way, you get near-instant response. It's easy...and in fact is what nearly every photographer does. If your child is getting ready to blow out candles on a cake...half press on their face while they are making their wish - the camera will lock metering and focus and wait for your final command. Then as they lean forward to blow, you snap the shot. That's all it requires - a little planning before you shoot.

Now comes the part where I become the board villian. Sony makes excellent cameras. (Tomatoes flying, pitchforks and torches approaching from the masses!) I know it is something people are not really allowed to say, and 95% of people who come to camera boards are long-time photographers, who were shooting with film too and who live and die by the name 'Canon', and a few 'Nikons' thrown in to boot. And when it comes down to the ultimate digital photographic tools, Canon and Nikon DSLRs are certainly about the best you can get.

However, not everyone will be able to get great performances out of a DSLR - having one doesn't make you a great photographer, no more than owning a Porsche will make you a great driver! And for a person who really is not a Photographer with a capital P, using one and getting good results from one can be more challenging sometimes than using a good point and shoot.

How many digital camera amateurs look at the LCD screen on their cameras, and can see what the shot is going to look like without having any understanding of the settings? How many just move the camera around, watching the LCD, until the picture looks pretty good - not really knowing how all the automatic features are doing what they do? Well if they go to a DSLR, they won't be able to do that anymore. No live preview means you look through the lens, but can't see the effect of the metering, shutter speed, white balance, etc until AFTER you've taken the picture. To a skilled photographer, this is preferred - TTL gives much more accurate ability to manually focus a camera especially in low light. But then again, they know what the shutter speed and aperture chosen are going to produce for their shot - and they would know if they need to dial in a little EV or raise the ISO sensitivity even without seeing it. Most basic amateur P&S users wouldn't...and often get pretty bad results from their new DSLRs that they felt compelled to buy!

How many amateur photographers go into advanced editing suites and alter their photos to fine-tune them for maximum results? Not many - most just post what they shoot. When people look at the marvelous results pouring out of DSLRs by excellent photographers - they think they can just go buy one off the shelf with a kit lens, take the shot, and post it direct from camera and see those same astounding results. Well - they can't! These wonderful DSLR users with their excellent photos don't use kit lenses - they use very expensive lenses that often cost several times what the camera body alone costs. And they almost always shoot in RAW format, which is then loaded onto a computer and loaded into a RAW converter software where the picture is tuned for color, contrast, sharpness, hue, tone, brightness, saturation, shadow recovery, highlight recovery, and more. And it is edited in Photoshop to get rid of unwanted elements, run through noise-reduction software to get rid of the graininess, run through high-pass or USM sharpening to get the edges just-so. Too many people get talked into going the DSLR route who really didn't want any of that, and find themselves taking pictures in Auto mode set to JPEG output, and getting results no better, or even worse, than with a good P&S.

Also, when it comes to P&S cameras, the sensors, the software internally, and the processing algorithms mean as much to the output as the lenses...these cameras are tuned to be as effortless as possible for less skilled photographers, but still grant some additional control for those who know what they are doing. Canon and Nikon are skilled mechanical camera makers, and lens makers...but hold no advantages over Sony in the electronics and technology sectors. In fact, virtually every Canon and Nikon P&S camera uses the exact same sensors in your Sony P&S - which are MADE by Sony. Look inside a Canon SD-series, or S-IS model...and you'll find a Sony sensor. As for lenses, Sony doesn't know much about them - which is why they contracted legendary German lens manufacturer Carl Zeiss to design and test the lenses on most of their cameras. With excellent features that most other P&S manufacturers don't have in their cameras (live shooting histograms, infolithium batteries with minutes remaining readouts on screen), Sony P&S cameras are at the top of the heap - at the most, other manufacturers' cameras are equal to the best Sony models - not better than.

Personally, in avoiding the usual Canon bias that you will find on nearly every camera discussion board on the internet - I would recommend certain P&S models from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, and Fuji...each with their own strengths. Sony's H-series cams are well featured, built well, have good lenses, and have very good image quality overall. Canon's S-IS cams have good lenses, very good image quality, and good reliability reputation. Panasonic FZ cams have probably the best lenses overall, with excellent optical quality and good IQ, but not as good at higher ISOs with a fair amount of noise. Fuji's F20-50 cams don't have as good of lenses as the others, and IQ is good but just a touch below Canon and Sony...but they have by far the best low-noise, low light sensor - blowing Canon, Sony, and Panasonic out of the water.

When it comes to DSLRs, Canon is probably the best overall, with Nikon just a notch down...then Sony, Olympus, Pentax, and Panny another step below. But in the P&S market, Sony is right at the top, and has some very competitive cameras, awesome speeds, lots of features, great glass, and good prices. And yes...in the interest of disclosure, my galleries were taken with a Sony P&S (booo, hisss...I know!). But I've also had Canon, Minolta, and Pentax cams before - and still have my Canon SLR kit with a few lenses. Someday I may decide to get a digital body - but personally I really like P&S digital cameras...they offer me something that a DSLR cannot. For under $500, I have a small, light camera with an optical range of 36mm to 432mm, good auto and program modes plus some manual controllability when I want it, decent all-around performance in any situation, and all in a single, sealed body...no bag-o-lenses, no 2Lbs of weight hanging from my neck...just portable freedom to enjoy myself and snap a pic when the whim hits me, and still get a wall-hangable shot!

And now I shall be lynched for actually liking a P&S, not feeling like I need a DSLR just now, and for *gasp* supporting a Sony product! ;)

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Why would we go after you with pitchforks?

Yes, Sony makes some of the best CCDs out there. Which is why Nikon will be #3 and falling if/when Sony comes out with a new technology CCD of APS-C size. Sony isn't going to let the competition have it, now will they?

But for some time Sony was using only their memory sticks in their cameras, which may be a problem for finding memory cards, plus the innovation isn't there a la CF or SD/SDHC to create larger capacity cards via competition. (See Fuji with XD as well)

Plus you also have to consider "time between taking shot, writing to card and then ready to take next shot" which many P&S still lag. Yes there are some that have improved. I know Olympus just released one that takes 15 fps but at 1.2MP. Reminds me of a Nikon SLR that crops to improve speed.

Use the one you like the most! Simple as that. Go to a local shop that will let you actually try it out before using it.

9. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

my father uses and really likes both of his Sony's p&s. He was able to GREATLY improve that lag time by buying a SUPER fast, Sony brand memory card!

Zackie dawg, everything you said makes sense to me. I went from a hundred dollar camera to a two thousand dollar setup. My pictures aren't artistically any better ;)

10. HW

HW Member

Justin I agree .I had an F828 that I loved and moved to a D80. Big learning curve now. Will it make me a better photographer. At the moment no but it will allow me to do things I couldn't with the 828 such as bird photography and cleaner images at high ISO and expand my knowledge. If it wasn't for needing much more tele reach and faster raw shooting and sometimes shooting in low light I would have stayed with the 828. Of course all this comes at a much higher price. Also I don't think you will find the brand war cult stuff like on other certain sites. This is the most reasonable forum I have ever been a member of. Two others I won't mention are full of people that just want to argue and don't have the guts to do it face to face

11. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

You're right, HW - probably the largest one which is where I came from when I 'met' Tim online and followed him over here! I am of course jesting as to the severity of the reaction here - Definately these boards are more about the subject (Disney!!) than the equipment. And actually, buying and LEARNING TO USE a DSLR will definately make you a better photographer...it's the learning period that does the trick. Certainly there are limitations with a P&S - and if your photography is pushing up against those limitations, it is time to consider moving to a DSLR. But so many people never even push the limits of their P&S and likely never will, yet they often feel compelled to move into a DSLR that will require more input and more learning that they aren't willing to devote. As I shoot more action sports, birds, and other wildlife, I definately have begun to stretch my H5 to the limits - and can see where a DSLR would yield better results. At the moment, I don't shoot enough of those to matter - but the day may come, and at that point, I'll probably splurge for a good DSLR. I'll avoid it as long as I can, because I'm a tech-head and love toys...so I know I'll blow thousands on lenses!

Rlongenbach - I'm used to being chased with pitchforks on most other camera boards (even other types of message boards that have a camera forum)...usually by the Canon herd. So publicly utering a good word towards a Sony camera always makes me flinch. ;) As for Memory Stick vs other formats - I think that was a thing of the distant past - memory stick cards are cheap and plentiful ($28 for 2G - about the same price as SD), and come in variants every bit as fast as SD or CF's top cards. And they're already up to 4GB for around $70...not so far behind on innovation. Xd, on the other hand, is a terrible format, and glacially slow.

That Olympus cam is an embarassment - they hyped alot of big-sounding features without showing the small print. Sony is a few steps ahead of those competitors, and more in line with Canon and Panny as far as speed and innovation. Consider the current DSC-H9 - it has 2.2FPS (much more realistic and not far off a DSLR), and that's at full 8MP for up to 100 frames. In good light, the H-series autofocus times can match entry-level DSLRs, and although they slow in low light, they still lock on accurately. And half-press shutter lag on some Sony models is spot-on with DSLRs. It certainly still has weaknesses - no P&S is going to shoot low light, and high ISO, like a DSLR - big sensors rule in that regard! You're right - when it comes down to it...shoot with what you enjoy and what works for you!

Craig - I think a DSLR certainly raises your potential to be a better photographer, but you have to have the desire and willingness to learn to go with it. And certainly, some P&S users have a great eye, and can still take marvelous pictures with excellent composition using a P&S, while some DSLR users can take horrible photos.

I don't want to be labeled the defender of P&S cameras over DSLRs...I just wanted to defend Sony P&S against some other brands. I think the original poster could too easily develop an opinion that all Sony cameras lag badly and the only cure to taking better pictures is to buy a DSLR.

And I try to use alot of these things: :) ;D ;) because my normal conversation is riddled with sarcasm and humor...which doesn't always translate in type. Just know that I'm not one of those sensitive folks who you can easily offend or hurt my feelings...and rarely are my words not dripping with some sarcasm, humor, or irony. ;)

12. HW

HW Member

I like sony P and S too. I had 3 of them. the S85 then the 717 and then the 828 and I found them to be great cams.I always told friends looking at P and S types to consider sony as dig cams are all electronics inside and even though canon and nikon and others made film cameras for years sony has the edge in electronics. I am a toy nut too and it took me awhile to finally get an SLR and I am glad I waited as your SLR dollar goes alot futher now and memory is so cheap now.I only wish lens would drop but that is never going to happen.
    I met Tim through that other web site too when he was looking for a shooting partner and we actually learned a few things about photography from each other.
    I dont take offense at what cams people use either like some cult nuts. I figure it is there dollar let them buy what they like.

13. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

You know, some of my best wedding pictures were taken with a Mavica. Sony was way ahead of the curve with that one. While Olympus was using SmartMedia. Geez those were....um...fragile.

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i agree with both of you, howie and justin. the 'other' forum would have taken this discussion and turned it into a flame war, complete with 28% bonus trolling for free. part of the reason i designed this forum was to have intelligent provocative discussion such as this without the need to resort to name calling and ridicule.

i have learned a lot from this thread alone, and the folks on this site who have posting some outstanding photography have inspired me to keep pushing and not get complacent with my own work.

howie, i see improvement in your stuff already since you got the new camera. at-a-boy!

15. HW

HW Member

TY Tim. I see major improvements in your stuff also.

16. TinkAttitude

TinkAttitude Member

these sites were particularly helpful - thank you!
    although the down side was that it looks like my sony dsc-t33 actually rates fairly well for shutter lag - bummer - maybe i will have to look into the slr world...

17. TinkAttitude

TinkAttitude Member

ok - now that i'm all caught up on this thread i started - i have learned a lot and really appreciate all the time you've taken to educate others!!! i'm afraid if i get a non-point & shoot, i'd be one of those dopes who spent all that money and used it on auto all the time, without learning more about the features... one of the best features of my sony dsc-t33 is that it fits into my pocket - i've been diaper bag free for over a year now, and just can't stand the thought of schlepping a larger camera around disney, or anywhere else... i would like to learn more and eventually get a bigger, faster camera and learn all about all of the features - but for now i think i will try to focus (heehee) on half-depressing the button to try improve the shutter lag i am experiencing... the articles and links in this thread were great resources - thanks again!

18. HW

HW Member

your welcome. just practice practice practice and try different things. remember ...... it is digital so there is no cost involved in trying different methods. and most of all have fun

19. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Tink - not sure where you are, but one option (if you want to try a digital SLR) is to get one at Costco. They used to have unlimited returns, but now you have 90 days to return it for full refund within 90 days. Great way to try it out for 3 months and see if it's for you. There's also a ton of Digital Rebel XTs on ebay (since they recently released the Rebel XTi) which are priced very reasonably.

I would never do to Disney with just a DSLR, mainly because I've got 2 kids (one with diaper bag), and it really is just too much gear to handle (even with the relatively small Digital Rebel) ... but having taken 2 trips there with 1100 "snapshots" from a P&S ... I really don't feel I need any more of the "same old" pictures. So my next trip I'm taking the DSLR because it definately gives me the chance to take "more artistic" photos. It takes a lot of work to learn the camera, and the art of photography, but I find it infinately rewarding. Even for a rank amateur like myself, after a few months of reading up I was starting to take pictures that I was proud to frame and hang on my wall, rather than just print and throw in a shoe box. The good thing about learning photography is that there are tons of resources out there to learn the basics (such as aperture, focal length, shutter speed, etc.), and plenty of people out there willing to help (as this forum shows).

I know a lot of people who made the jump to DSLR, and used it solely on auto. I know more, however, that really got into the hobby, and are thrilled that they did. Whatever you do, remember that great pictures are about 10% gear and 90% photographer.

20. gary

gary Member

well folks i held off as long as i could ,but i gotta jump in here with my .02, i started with a sony in the digital arena, using memory sticks, can't remember the model number, gave it away a couple years ago to a neice, it was slow on the shutter, so when canon finally got serious about digital slr, i made the committment,( and considering what i've spent on equipment in the last 5 years my wife says i should be committed). but i already had 2 canon L lenses at the time. so that made the brand decision for me.
    i have an almost religious fervor about reading the instruction manual again and again until it's almost committed to memory, both for dslr and p & s. then experiment with as many settings as there are, see what works for you and your shooting style, if and when you find yourself up against the limits of your particular equipment, then you can truly say, i need more and better
    i too continue to carry and use a p&s, an older canon, s-40, mostly used now from horseback, where i don't care to risk the latest dslr and an expensive lens, only because i have been involuntarily dismounted a couple of times in the past.

BUT, we live in what i feel may now be the golden age of photography, for the simple fact that the dslr market is getting so feature laden, while prices continue to drop on the entry level cameras that i urge anyone who thinks they might want to learn anything beyond auto everything jpeg mode to get the entry level with the kit lens, it really isn't a huge time or knowledge committment to learn a few basics, learn the controls and experiment, i guarantee you'll get technically better, you'll get a better family snapshot in a pretty short learning curve, past that is up to you, i can't guarantee the artistic improvement at all, so far i haven't been able to make my own self a threat to ansel's legacy
    btw, i think the costco try out an xti is a great suggestion, i'm really impressed with mine so far
    gary