ISO vs. Aperture vs. Shutter Speed

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by BamaJenn, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BamaJenn

BamaJenn Member

Can anyone out there post a good definition of each of these with how they differ from each other and what types of shots are best made by modifying each? (wow that's a huge run on sentence)

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

hi there jenn. i will attempt to answer this in an 'non-tech' talk as possible. you have asked to define the three way equation that determines EXPOSURE. first the definitions then i will explain how this all works. it is a reciprocal relationship, where if you can one then the other two have to change to compensate.

how much light is captured is controlled by the shutter, aperture, and ISO (film speed) to produce an EXPOSURE.

The shutter is akin to the shutters on your house. When the shutter is closed, no light enters the camera even though the light is entering the lens. When the shutter is open, light enters the camera through lens and strikes the previously mentioned medium, causing an image to be recorded. The shutter is expressed in the time in which it is open, and is expressed in terms of time, such as 1/60 second, 1/125 second, etc. It is usually shown on the camera as a whole number, such as 60. In the event of shutter speeds of greater than one second, the camera usually shows the number with a quotation mark, such as 3â€

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

btw, i also added my previous response to the glossary of photo terms sticky thread in this section. great questions, jenn.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014