Is everyone on vacation right now?

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Tim, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

been pretty quiet round here the past week or so.... hope all is well with all of you and i hope you are all gearing up for the premiere episode of the magical definition podcast. episode #1 drops on sunday, so be sure to tune it and hope to see you at the MDP premiere party at the magical mountain forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

No, I just have...uhhh... alot of photos to go through right now. ;D

When I'm not reading about "Today's story about dousing your coworker with gasoline and lighting a match is brought to you from Disney's Animal Kingdom"

Plus I'm not happy with Canon right now. Either 1) they think that because they're the best so they don't have to compete (See Macintosh) or 2) They have more to unveil but not tell anyone or 3) It's not ready for primetime with their new products.

So maybe I'll wait to see the price drops. Maybe pick up a used FF someplace. Or a new old model of something. Still would love the wide angle, use the 1.6 crop for telephoto.

3. Roger

4. Tim

well, you know my opinion on THAT particular kit....

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

5. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Vacation ? What's a vacation ? Haven't had one of those in a while . . .

For me, it's just hard to get worked up about photography in Detroit in early March ... nothing but muddy snow and gray skies. Just wait until that first 60 degree day, though ...

And I totally agree with rlogenbach ... though I'll wait for PMA before going postal about them. Rumours are strong, though, that PMA will see a sizeable price drop (and or renewal of the rebate program) on the 5Ds. Speculation is they will clear inventory and may announce a "5D MkII" in Aug / September time frame. Either way, I'm committed to going full frame to get better wide angle performance, but I'm not doing a thing until they at least get the 5D back down to the $600 rebate that was being offered previously.

6. Roger

Yeah, I'm hoping that Canon pulls #3 at PMA. Maybe show the demo production models of new lenses and bodies at PMA, but not release them until the fall. The 1D Mk 3 is obviously going to ship this month in numbers to prevent the same as early Wii and PS3 price rises. In fact I've never heard of a new Canon being announced, released, and then out of stock at most retailers 12 hours before the official release date (due to lottery winners of the night/week-before line).

Of course wait a few months, and the retailers can't do anything to get them OFF their shelves now.

But the next generation prosumer line(s) (APS-C and 35mm) will have Digic III, ISO Safety (Auto ISO), dust removal, and probably lower noise 3200 (now that they have the 6400 on the Mk3...). I doubt that the 30D successor will have live view until Nikon or Sony includes it and has better sales. Perhaps the 5DMk2 or 5DS will have it. Personally I don't care for live view. Just give me a 100% viewfinder...heheheh.

But the prices have to come down on the 5D before I decide what I'm going to do. Plus the fact that there is no FF equiv of the 17-55/2.8 IS.

7. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

I don't know about everybody else, but I am certainly not on vacation. Though, believe me, I could use one!

I'be been busy with several projects over the last month - building a new PC, buying a new laptop, copying PhotoPass CDs for the MouseFest group, creating and distributing photo DVDs of my grandfathers slides (the family loved them when they got them), and a few updates to my web site.

I tend to slack off posting on the boards this time of year anyway, since I'm not in the active planning phase for my next WDW trip. I will probably increase my activity on the boards gradually over the next few months.

I got an invitiation in the mail yesterday for yet another wedding - the 4th of my cousins on both sides of the family to take the plunge this year! It's going to be a busy year for weddings, which means a busy year for photography. I've been asked to video one of the 4, but at the others I'll be wielding my still camera. I'll probably be asking for tips and tricks here, as well as from my friend Frank, who is a wedding photographer. I'm eager to use my new (used) Canon Speedlite 420EX flash unit.

8. Tim

ah, the joys of a new flash gun... get used to bouncing it off the ceiling and you will be amazed at what those little guys can do.... it's like (here comes the bad pun) night and day when compared to that little on-camera strobe. congrats!

9. gary

gary Member

don't forget the stoffen omnibounce, probably the best and cheapest flash accessory there is, i know you can jury rig something cheaper, but that seemed like more work than left click ordering
    gary

10. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Ditto the Omnibounce ... Excellent accessory and far better than any jury-rigged flash diffuser I've seen. For the price, it's a no brainer. Canon ought to just include one with the 580EX, as it's almost required for most flash uses.