How can I improve this shot? The "constructive criticism" thread ;)

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by ArnyVee, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Alright folks,

I want to get better with my "eye" for photography. So, I figured that I'd start a thread that we can add pictures to and get some comments as to how to improve certain shots. With so many professionals here, I'd love to get the advice. :)

From the angle taken to the post-photo editing....what can we do to fix or make the photographs better?

So, here's my first shot.....how do I improve it? I want all constructive feedback, so don't hold back. Even if it means that I should've stayed away from the shot altogether. :)

[​IMG]

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Great thread idea!

For your shot, I would start by rotating it a little to the right to see how it looks. ; I always look for something vertical (like one of those fence posts) to use as a guide when rotating.

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I agree with Dennis, the shot looks unlevel. ; I also think its cropped too tightly around SSE, especially at the top. ;

4. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I am far from a pro, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but here's what I see.

Quick fixes:
    1) increase exposure, gamma, contrast, and blacks
    2) increase vibrance
    3) crop a tad tighter on the left and right

I think the composition is okay from a technical perspective, you have something in each third. ; I might consider going lower and aiming upwards more. ; As a general matter, I have a predisposition against straight-on shots that show only around 50% of the top of SSE (unless they incorporate a monorail to take the focus off of SSE). ; I don't know why, but they just don't do it for me. ; The worst perspective for this, in my opinion, is behind the Fountain of Nations. ; I think the blame is on those tarps, but I have never seen a shot from that perspective that I cared for. ; I've never had any success back there, either (okay, tangent over).

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Re: How can I improve this shot? The "constructive

I love this idea. ; Would this make a good "board" idea? ; Please make suggestions but also answer arny's question so as to not hijack the thread. ; ;

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I definitely think that I would increase the vibrance in this shot. ; There are a lot of great colors in there that just need a little boosting.

Tim, I think that this would be a great board idea. ; It is a great way for those of us that are new or newer to photography to learn how to become better.

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

I'm glad everyone likes the idea. And yes Tim, I think it would be a great idea to incorporate this into a board.

Thanks to all for the suggestions on the pic. By the way, when you say "rotate" the shot, do you mean to physically zoom out and stand more to the right or left of the angle? Just want to make sure that I have the terminology down :)

8. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I think what they are talking about is using your post-production software to realign the picture. ; As one person said they try to use some object in the picture you know should be plumb as a guide when realigning to know when you get vertical alignment

9. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Great board idea.

10. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Great board idea as long as it sticks to constructive criticism that includes a way to improve the shot or post-production fixes. ;

11. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I know for me, personally, the most utility I have gotten out of this board is the occasions when I solicit CC on a shot I post, and you all offer advice about which I would have never thought. ; I think it's generally a pretty friendly group around here, but if people don't want others offering CC on their photos (I know a number of people who don't), they just wouldn't have to post on the board. ; I know I would use it a ton.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

I think having ; a separate board for CC is a great idea. ; Its impossible to tell if and when someone wants CC unless they ask. ; Having a board specifically for that would be a great way to keep those threads together and could be a great resource for anyone who is just starting to learn the art of photography.

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

yes!! then everyone will know if its safe to critique and/or if wanted!!

14. gary

gary Member

i think a seperate c & c board is just the way to go, i know sometimes i want c&c and some shots i personallyt like just fine, and sometimes i know it needs work, but i just don't quite know where to start

15. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

CC board is a great idea - a place where it is definitely known that any and all critique is welcomed.

Arny, I agree on the rotate idea...and I agree that most here are likely referring to post-processing the shot by rotating the shot more to the right. ; The idea would be that the roofline of the Communicore/Innoventions building would be perfectly horizontal, and the palm trees in front of it would be perfectly vertical. ; You would have to re-crop the photo after rotating...so it may not work if the photo the way you posted it is the full original - you might not have enough room to crop. ; In fact, when shooting, that's a good thing to keep in mind - sometimes leaving a wee bit of room around your subject gives you some leeway to crop a bit to get things perfect.

A little more saturation and a bit of contrast might be nice too...but that's personal taste.

Here's a basic idea what I was thinking on the rotate:

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

16. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

By rotating, I guess the best way to explain it is think of going back to take the same picture from the same spot, but tilt your camera a little to the left. ; That horizontal roofline is a strong element and it makes the whole picture look a little off kilter.

Here's an example using GIMP. ; Note the vertical guidlines that I added to help me align using the vertical fence post. ; The crosshair marks the center of rotation (which I didn't change). ; It looks like rotating about 2 degrees to the right is all that you need.

17. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Wow, you see....already learning!

And, Justin, that little bit of tilt/rotation makes the picture A LOT better. :)

Thanks guys! Let's kick off that CC Board off and learn from the pros! ;)

18. PolynesianMedic

Well until the actual forum is available, I will post this here, and ask for help. ; I tried this shot many ways, and they all came out the same way, so here is the shot and please let me know how I can get the shots that you have all posted with the detail and craters. ; I did try f/16 for this shot, and still got the same. ; Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

What was your ISO and shutter speed on that one Jeff?

20. PolynesianMedic

Here is the data on the shot:

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Exposure: 1
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 300 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off, Did not fire

File Size: 1237 kB
    File Type: JPEG