How about a dinner meet after mousefest?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Dan, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Dan

Dan Member

I've been thinking that it'd be neat if some of us could get together over dinner sometime in December. It'd be different from the photo tours, more relaxed and with more time to chat instead of focusing on picture taking. A chance to talk shop with fellow shutterbugs, or perhaps compare our different gear.
    So I'm just going to suggest a time and place. We've been trying to get reservations and even a month away some places are starting to be booked solid. We already have this time and place booked, but we might be able to get more people added to the reservation.
    The place is Jiko, at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The time is Tuesday December 12th, at 5:30pm.
    I can offer a discount on the food. I've got the Disney Dining Experience, which means a 20% discount off of food and alcohol for up to 8 other people. Regarding the alcohol, I believe that Jiko is supposed to have a good wine selection. I don't like wine, so I can't really comment from experience.

I offer this link to reviews of Jiko:
    http://allearsnet.com/reviewpost/showpr ... 146&cat=39

And this one to a menu for it:
    http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_jiko.htm

It may be that it's less booked because people are intimidated by the slightly more exotic menu (it's really not that exotic, I'd prefer it were more so), or more likely just that it's located at one of their less accessable resorts (AKL is kind of far away from most of the rest of DW), but it seems like that place is less booked than most. So I have high hopes that we'll be able to add more people easily.

Besides which it seems like no-one else is staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so it provides an opportunity to invite people over to come see it. It's unfortunate that it'll be dark by then, because otherwise it's absolutely fantastic for animal photography. There's animal viewing areas all over the place, with the same sort of tricks they use in Animal Kingdom itself to keep the animals out in front of the public. Not as wide a variety of animals, and no predators except perhaps some birds, but it's still a remarkable place. And actually the interior ambiance is best at night.

There's no pressure for getting a minimum number of people, I'll be eating there no matter what. But if you'll still be around after Mousefest ends (I'm going kind of late so I'll miss most of Mousefest) and want to join my mom and I, and perhaps a few other diehard cameraheads for good food, good conversation, and perhaps some chaka-laka (I have no idea what that is.. it comes with the scallops, I just find the name funny), let me know and we'll see if the reservations can be adjusted accordingly.
    And about the exoticness.. it may look intimidating, with things like couscous, berbere sauce, and chaka-laka.. but there's also things like filet mignon on macaroni and cheese (premium macaroni and cheese, let me tell you). Unfortunately they changed my favorite dish, they had a spicy shrimp thing that's been toned down. I had been on a quest to find the spiciest thing at Disney World, and I thought that was it. But no more, the quest is on once again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

hi dan,

i would like to thank you for your generous invite, but i am afraid that i am going to have to decline, based solely on the fact that we come back to NJ that afternoon and would be on the plane during your dinner. i hope others are able to going and make a TMIP showing at Jiko's. I would have gone if I was able. But........there's always next year.

3. gary

gary Member

dan, karen and i may join you, i'll get back in a couple days for certain
    gary

4. Tim

hey gary... i have a karen too. what a co-inky-dink

5. gary

gary Member

bet i've had mine longer

6. Tim

you're probably right :)

7. Dan

Dan Member

Okay folks, Gary's in and I'm declaring this Friday, the 24th, a cutoff for anyone else. The word from the reservation people is that Jiko is starting to fill up, reservation wise.