Hello hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by howeirdd, Feb 11, 2013.

1. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

Hi folks,

Kinda wish I found this earlier, since I won't be back to WDW for a while ... My name is Howard and I'm a bit of a Disney addict. My wife (ex-girlfriend/best friend at the time [insert long story here]) actually got me started up again in the whole Disney fever thing back when Virtual Magic Kingdom was still around (does anybody remember that amazing little world?). We were dating at the time and the online game basically allowed you to create an avatar and hang out in ... well, a virtual Magic Kingdom! I won't get into the details, but there were quests, rooms where people used objects to make puzzles, rides, etc. It was great. And so the magic found in visiting the Magic Kingdom virtually grew into wishing we could visit the real Magic Kingdom daily!

Attached Files:

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Welcome aboard! ; Your story sounds familiar. ; My wife (then girlfriend) first introduced me to Disneyland way back a couple of decades before digital cameras came about. ; :)

Dive right in and share some of your Disney adventures from your past trips. Ask questions and give advice. ; TMIP is a wonderful place to do both.

Oh, and we try not to put the word "great" in the same sentence with "Tom Bricker". ; ;)

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Howard!

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Welcome Howard - another fellow photography fan and Disney fan. ; Your story has similarities to probably many of ours...my Disney introduction came courtesy of my Grandmother when I was but 3 years old and we made the trek from New Jersey to this new crazy theme park opening down in the swamps of Florida in 1971...having been to Disney World in the opening month, I was forever hooked. ; My photography interest came in 1977, but didn't merge with my love of Disney really until the early 2000s and the digital age. ; I had taken photos at Disney since the 70s, but didn't really seek out photographic scenes and styles in the parks.

You should enjoy the time here on the boards, and will find many like minded fellows here. ; And maybe you can figure out a way to make it to an upcoming Pixelmania!

5. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

Thanks! I'm ; looking all around at the threads and checking it all out.

Haha what's wrong with Tom Bricker? ; ;D

Thank you!

That's an awesome story, being there in the opening month. I'm excited just being there with the construction of the New Fantasyland expansion, I can't imagine how much fun it would've been with everything being new!

It'd definitely be cool to explore WDW with a bunch of photographers. Since our APs expire in April, we'll have to fall back on our non-expiration tickets. My wife isn't the biggest fan of flying either and she got sick and pretty miserable on the Christmas trip, so we don't know when we'll make it back. Maybe a future Pixelmania?

6. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Welcome to the boards!

Sent from my iPhone...

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Nothing is wrong with Tom (and he knows it). ; ;D

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Welcome aboard!!!!! ; Looking forward to more of your stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

Thanks guys!

I will admit that since I've broadened my view on Disney photography, my level of admiration for TB did drop a little ; :-[

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Hey, I kid Tom all the time. ; He is good and I get a lot of ideas from his work.

11. howeirdd

howeirdd Member

He certainly seems like a guy you can joke about. He does have a lot of great ideas and his reviews are pretty spot on.

I noticed that a lot of people seem to go with Nikon. I'm not a Canon loyalist by any means and was wondering if there were advantages to Nikon when it comes to Disney photography?

12. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

There is nothing special about Nikon. Some of it stems from when Nikon went full frame and blew Canon out of the water with image quality a few years ago. Since then Canon fought back so the quality is about the same now. Each system has different lens options but you probably won't notice a difference in shooting now.

The old war meant something as Canon has been CMOS since the beginning while Nikon was CCD until they returned to the full frame market and switched to CMOS. All of the top brands are using CMOS now.

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Nikon was my camera of choice years ago. ; For some reason, they fit my hand much better than the equivalent Canon. ; Let me add, that is for the Pro bodies. ; All the consumer bodies feel small and too light.

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

Welcome from a fellow architecture graduate! (B.S. Arch '05 & M. Arch '06 from CUA) ;

15. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Welcome Howard, Glad to have you onboard. And yes, your story is very similar to many of ours. Don't let Scott kid you either, he is a pretty accomplished photographer himself.