Heading to California

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by prettypixie, Jun 24, 2009.

1. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

We had to postpone our trip to California (originally leaving Texas June 12), but plan to go sometime between mid July and September. Anybody know a reason why one of those weeks would be better to visit Disney?

Also, any photo requests from Downtown, DL or CA?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i would go in september if it was me because the kids will be in school! ; plus, prices may be lower due to being off-season.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

In theory it wil be slighty less busy in september. ; However, the haunted mansion and iaswunm will be down for conversion to holiday mode.

I don't think dl has implemented pricing changes yet though.

4. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

We have finally decided we will be heading to California August 28 - September 7. We will be leaving from Orange, Texas (driving with a two-year old and three month old) Friday 28. We will be stopping along the way to visit family and will probably spend one day at Disney on 9/1.

After putting off the trip numerous times (due to losing home in hurricane, birth of a new baby, death of my father-in-law etc.) we are really looking forward to a vacation. Only six more weeks!

5. Roger

You have my sympathies. ; I once took my son when he was about 5 months old from SoCal to Albuquerque. ; That's about half the distance you'll be going.

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

My parents relocated from Dayton, Ohio to San Marcos, California when I was about 3 months old and decided to drive. They said, my car carrier was a clothing-lined laundry basket (hey this was late 1971 and even the car seats weren't for infants) and I slept most of the way. ; So, it's always possible her trip could be great with the kids, but if not there is always children's benadryl....haha

7. Or you could be like me - 8 years old on the return trip from Tennessee. I talked 8 hours and slept the other 6! I guess Ray's still in the honeymoon phase. Ask him about taking infants on a trip a year from now LOL!

8. Grumpwurst

Oh, I'm going to get a crash course in traveling with infants/toddlers in less than a year when I bring Kai home from China. ; That's a freakishly long plane ride

9. Well you could come to Chicago and take a mini-course with me. Taking the 10 minute bus ride with 18 5 year olds to swimming can be interesting!

"I CANT PUT MY SEATBELT ON! (as they arent trying)
    "BYEEE SCHOOOOL!"
    "I can touch your hand!" (Me: Stop touching eachother and turn around!"
    "JINGLE BELLS JINGLE BELLS! (Me: No Christmas songs! Its July!)
    (Upon arriving) "YYYYYYYYYYYAY were here!
    Me: Take your seatbelts off but stay in your seats...sit down!

and this all before we even get in the pool!

LOL! Man I love my job!

10. Well, heres an idea....I was watching an episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8 and on their way to Hawaii they stopped in San Diego to break up the LOOONG trip. Maybe you should take Kai on his first trip to Disney. ; :p

After all its a reason to celebrate!

:p

11. Grumpwurst

Because we are expected to be in China for 3 weeks, work isn't going to tolerate our making the trip any longer. ; It's going to be get on a plane and get home as fast as possible. ;

12. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Roger, I just visited your DL photo Gallery (great pics btw). Now I'm totally anxious for our trip, but I still have to wait four and a half more weeks - aaaargh! :(

13. Roger

Thanks! ; :)

It looks like you'll be in the parks right before they close everything for Halloween. ; Not sure if 9/1 is a blockout day or not, you should look at the SoCal blockout days and doublecheck. ; Apparently, the park isn't as busy as it was in early June because of the blockout days...

Which is a reverse trend from the past when the summers were the worst, but the park has fully morphed into a mostly local park, so it makes sense to buy the $110 pass v. the almost $400 pass.[nb]Guessing, I don't know the price increases, but I'll bet the two park premium AP will exceed $400 this fall.[/nb]

14. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

According to MousePlanet:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/8922/Disneyl ... ate#Rehabs

I'm really bummed the Storybook Canal and Casey train will be closed. I was looking forward to taking my daughter on them since this will be her first trip to DL. At least it looks like we'll be there before they shut down things to decorate for Halloween.

15. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

16. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Thanks - leaving in 24 days!

17. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Have fun & think about us :).

18. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

have a fun trip!

19. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Enjoy the west coast - lucky you getting to head that way. ; Someday, I'll work my way back to see what they changed (pretty much everything!) since I was last there.

20. Roger

You know Justin, the DVC units open up this fall ;-)