Happily ever after

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by PolynesianMedic, May 15, 2017.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

So I just watched the show on YouTube. I think this might prove a bit difficult to shoot. Lights, lasers, the projections constantly moving and changing, and the are several parts that look like they will be ready to blow out of your not using a filter. Anyone else have some thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I am not going to watch videos on this one. I usually devour any and all info when new things come, but going to wait on this, July is not that far off.

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't think it will be as hard as it looks to capture (yeah, I know...famous last words). My plan, based on watching it online once, is to use shorter exposures no longer than 5-10s. Then combine them in photoshop to get the amount of fireworks I'm looking for. That may require masking out the castle in all but one of the shots to create a mostly frozen image of the projections.

Of course, all of this is subject to change once I start looking at exif data ahead of the trip.

PolynesianMedic likes this.
  4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here is my take after shooting the show this week...

For still photographers, the addition of projections to all the nighttime shows at Walt Disney World is not the greatest thing. Visually, the shows are stunning and almost overwhelming when fireworks are added on top of the moving projections. I studied this show on youTube for the last couple of weeks to try and find good places to get a mix of fireworks and projections. There are a few places the projections are fairly static but not many.

This photo was taken towards the end of the show and, for me, a fairly fast shutter of about 7 seconds. Gone are the days you could put an ND filter on and let the shutter cover an entire segment with a fairly static Cinderella Castle during Wishes. I know some people are compositing the castle with a long exposure. Others are taking the projections out of the equation by shooting the castle from behind it. Not what I would call a solution though they are nice.

Going to have go for shorter shutter speeds and higher ISO photos in the future. Thankfully, today's camera sensors are up to the task and I won't have to bother with a tripod, too. Click the photo below for the Exif data.

[​IMG]
    Happily Ever After?
    by Scott Thomas, on Flickr

Chernabog1940 likes this.
  5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice! Thanks for sharing your shooting experience!

Scottwdw likes this.
  6. troydittman

troydittman Member

7. troydittman

troydittman Member

this is one of my efforts.

8. PolynesianMedic

Last night while eating at Ohana, I got to see and here the show from a distance, for the first time. First, nice shot! My opinion on the show is that I don't like it. I don't think the music flows well at all. It just feels like a random jumbling of Disney songs with no real story to it. Now, I wasn't in the park and still haven't seen the show up close but that's what I felt from where we sat. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

It is a little jumbled at times but I think it flows a little better if you're close enough to see the projections. Either that or I was just blown away by the technology involved. I've only seen it twice.

I do wish they had more of the classics in it rather than being predominantly movies made in the last decade or so.

10. PolynesianMedic

I think what really irked me was that, for the most part, all of the other shows have an original music score with pieces of Disney songs thrown in. This was just a bunch of remade Disney songs mashed together. I could listen to the music from Illuminations all the time, even Wishes I could listen to, but not this. It just didn't make me want to go out and get the music like all of the others have in the past.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

LOL! It does have an original song that is starts and ends with, my daughter can sing it on que, but I suppose no score. I think I have seen it about 10 times now (again, its my daughter's favorite) and you do need to see the projections. After you see the projections I feel that the show flows better and you might enjoy it. We drove down last year in Feb. just for the weekend because we wanted to see Wishes one more time. I can now say that if they brought back Wishes, I would want to see it, but I think I would feel it was missing something. That is how I felt about Hallo-Wishes last September after seeing HEE, it was good, but lacking something.

My 2 cents.

mSummers and PolynesianMedic like this.