Goin' to Disneyland!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well, it's all but official (just have to finalize the arrangements), but I'm going to Disneyland to break up the scorching Texas summer. ; 7/7 to 7/13. ; Time to tkae in the new Lincoln, Captain EO Tribute, World of Color, Princess Tiana's New Orleans Jubilee (yes, DL will have a land-based street show) and hopefully Remember.[nb]But I'll bet Magical will return. ; Really.[/nb]

And....Fantasmic! of course, since the Rivers will be up and running again by then! ; Hopefully the park won't be too busy, since I've heard that once blackout days start for most passholders, the park attendance drops to manageable levels. ; Really glad that the park will have a Princess Tiana show in NOS still. ; Such a short time and notice to go see the Showboat version, but it will at least have a more-direct Disney tie-in than the generic New Orleans streetsmophere CMs they used to have.

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

That's awesome!

3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

And especially since December got scrubbed.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a nice trip Roger, I am thinking that I am going to head out there for the summer of 2012.

5. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Congrats!

6. Roger

Radiator Springs Racing? ; ;D

7. That should be a good time to go since it will be after the CRAZY weekend that is the Forth of July. ; I'll never again go during that weekend. ; Things slow down more after that, so you should be good. ;

8. Roger

Yeah, I was thinking that too. ; Everything I've read from last summer has shown that the first three weeks of June and 7/4 weekend are crazy busy....but it slows down (comparatively) for the rest of the summer. ; No off season anymore. ; Well off-season with everything running that is.

9. Paul

Paul Member

Can't wait to get back there, looking forward to seeing all the improvements.

10. Us as well. ; Our last trip was last year for the D23 Expo plus 4 days in the parks. ; We took almost 1000 photo's and had the best time ever. ; Not sure if I even posted links or photo's here. ; Oops?

First time staying onsite as well. ; We normally get a cheap $45 a night hotel since we only sleep and shower there. ; This time, the In Laws were paying and they wanted to stay onsite, so who am I to argue? :) ; Our next trip is to WDW in April for a short stay, then then first weekend in October at DL.

11. Roger

Oooh. ; HM Holiday. ; Me likey. ; Unfortunately it's hard to get away during those months....

12. We love the HM overlay and have seen it a couple times. ; Love it. ; Excited about the SM overlay as well as the Halloween fireworks with Zero flying over the castle and all the decorations. ; Never been during Halloween before.

13. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

We're gonna miss you by a month, Roger. ; Too bad...I would have enjoyed meeting you there. :) ; You'll have to give me all your best Disneyland advice when ya get back, ok?

14. Roger

NP! ; Going in August?

15. Hoping to get out there myself this year. ; Maybe if D23 pops up again.

16. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

We'll be there in August at the Villas at the Grand Californian. :) ; My sister will have a baby boy who is one or two months old by then. ; We may initiate him into the love of all things Disney at a very early age!

17. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i am still holding out hope for a california trip this year but it's looking grim. ; we were planning on going late june but i am being sent to a 5 day training class for work that i cannot miss. ; bummer, but there is always next year.

18. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I can't wait to get out there next year ( sometime in the late spring/ early summer). ; The college friends and I already in the planning stages. ; I am getting so excited about it, the only downside is the flight back.

19. Scubamickey

Scubamickey Member

A few dinning recommendations

If you are into fine dinning and want some fun. ; I would suggest making an ADR for Napa Rose and ask for the Chef Counter. ; Each counter has seating for 4, you get to interact with the chefs, ask questions and they send over yummy items to try. ; We have done it a few times and really enjoy it.

We also enjoy Storytellers Cafe for any meal of the day. ; Also at Disney Grand Cal, if you are looking for a more quite spot to grab a bit to eat, go to Snack Waters. ; You can leave DCA through the gate that goes into the hotel(even if your not a hotel guest) grab a bit to eat and then head back into the park. ; It doesn't take that much time out of your day and its a bit more quite which is nice.

And a side note, if you aren't staying at one of the Disney hotels, the gate from DGCH to DCA, they sometimes asked for hotel keys in the morning. ; If your not a hotel guest, they wont let you in. ; I have stayed their quite a bit, even over the busy new years holiday and have only been asked for my key twice. ; So Im not sure how often they enforce it.

Hope you have a great trip. ; It should be not as busy as 4th of July, but it will still be summer busy. ; FPs work well and most guest sleep in, so if you are early, you can do a lot and start getting your FP's for the day. ; Typically DCA is slower of the two parks, but with world of color open, not sure how that will change things.

20. Roger

Unless they figure out by June 11, 2010 how to block a ticket/AP from getting a FP for World of Color more than X times in Y weeks, the FP for World of Color will be gone faster than the FP for Soarin at Epcot.