Flikr Changes

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by PolynesianMedic, Jun 3, 2013.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone noticed that Flickr is now allowing you 1 Terabyte of storage for FREE?! ; Plus they have changed their look and layout. ; I really like the changes they have made. ; Anyone else have thoughts on it, especially those that use it more than I do?

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

It's okay. ; Most of it is only skin deep. ; The old interface is still underneath. No updates to how groups or messaging works. ; With the amount of storage, I will probably not bother keeping my Pro account, I mean Yahoo CEO said there were no professional photographers anymore so why should I give them money. I guess they will make it up in ads.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

So glad I finally re-upped my pro account. ; Not.

I am so glad that the Yahoo CEO is painting with such a broad brush. ; Maybe she is still smarting from yahoo getting knocked silly in the email and search engine realm...? ; Not to mention that most of the entire business model with Flickr involves using OTHER people's images so Yahoo can make money. ;

Just another reason why I am never cared for Flickr- I use it for the social networking aspects. ;

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

He?

The current Yahoo CEO came from Google, had a nursery built in her office while eliminating telecommuting for most employees. She is cleaning up which is also why they bought Tumblr.

5. Tim

I corrected it while you were quoting me. ; Maybe she should think before she insults am entire profession of people instead of relying on the "out of context, misquoted" excuse. ; Yawn.

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

That is true!

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Well, with the changes that Google+ has made to their sight, it is obvious that they are working with photographers

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

I like the extra storage space and am glad I let my pro account lapse last month. ; The larger photos are nice, but having to find all of the buttons I'm looking for is mildly annoying.

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I don't care for the changes made to either Flickr or Google+.

If Flickr wants to add an alternative display format, so be it, but they should have made it a layout option rather than forcing it on everyone. ; The old layout had a sense of order, whereas the new one is just a bandwidth-hogging jumble of photos. ; I like to add captions and descriptions to all of my photos. ; Now, few people will see those.

I also miss the simple thumbnail view of photo sets. ; I'm now reluctant to go searching for a photo in my sets because the main screen for each set is the same layout as the photostream.

And have you seen the new slideshow? It looks like something created by a ten-year-old. ; I don't want my pictures moving all over the screen, I want people to see the entire photo.

Now I have to go to another screen to completely log off of Yahoo. ; They need to bring back the "Log off of Yahoo?" link on the screen that appears after I log off of Flickr.

Granted, the changes to Google+ weren't as drastic, but making photo "enhancements" the default setting is not a sign of an organization catering to professional and advanced amateur photographers.

The things that will keep me on Flickr are the ease of linking to the photos, the ability to customize my URL (flickr.com/photos/ddindy is so much easier than whatever gobbledygook is necessary to get to my G+ page) and the easily viewed statistics. ; I especially like the referrers list so I can see how people are getting to my photos.

But that's just my opinion.

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

test:

[​IMG]

11. ELinder

ELinder Member

Test successful.

12. Tim

13. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Flickr is messing with the interface on the single-photo display pages now. ; Be sure to give them feedback on how lousy (or good) you think it is.

In case you can't find it, the BBCode for an image can be found by clicking the sharing icon (the box with an arrow coming out of it) followed ; by ; clicking the pushpin icon. ; Sadly, this now only gives you a link to the photo; the caption and photographer are no longer included.

14. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

thanks, I just joined smugmug. I have been hosting my three sites on my own starting 2006. Three sites with three separate structures. I have not been able to update them in at least 18 months because it takes me too long to upload and place the pictures into galleries.
    Smugmug will make it much easier to point my three domains to one place and easily update galleries and folders.

Plus, I used it to host the pictures for ebay where the Nikon d300 and sony nex6 are up for sale.