Eyes like South Seas Islands Water; Orange Bill Lined with Blue

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by zackiedawg, Sep 6, 2016.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Cormorants can get quite amazing colorations in their face as they reach adulthood...just a plain black looking bird from a distance with an orange-colored bill, up close you get to see the amazing jewel-like eyes, that remind me of what the protected shallow waters of a south-seas island look like from an airplane...and the bright orange bill on closer inspection reveals that the inside of the mouth is a bright blue color. Nice that in the Florida heat and humidity, they are often quite sedentary and will let you walk up to within a few feet of them without bother - letting you enjoy photographing their amazing color from the minimum focus distance of your lens! Shots taken with an A6300 mirrorless plus FE70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS lens:
    [​IMG]

Getting even closer, to really see that eye detail:
    [​IMG]
    This younger cormorant has the eye color, but hasn't developed the blue mouth, and still has more whitish feathers on the belly and body...plus his head is a bit oversized on his still growing body:
    [​IMG]

A wider shot reveals just how bulbous that head is compared to the body:
    [​IMG]

RedOctober25 likes this.
  2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I never really noticed those colors Justin. Either I don't have the reach or haven't seen too many I guess.

3. nice stuff. here if I get out of my car 50 ft away they take off right away as do most birds in NJ. having to use tele converters on my 600f4 is common