England at night

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by Pops, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Pops

Pops Member

I stayed after Illuminations the other night and took some shots of England after everyone had left. They are better than I used to take but I am seeing much better nighttime architecture pics on the internet. ; Just curious what techniques others are using that get nighttime buildings to pop. ; Thanks - Garry

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]

Attached Files:

2. gary

gary Member

These are pretty much right there, i start F8, iso 100 , 6 seconds and then adjust from there with shorter or longer times. Unless something is completely blown out i keep them all until i can look at them on the larger screen. Of course this is absolutely of a tripod or some other kind of rock solid support. Maybe lighten the exposure just a little in your editing program.
    I use lightroom and here is what i would try, lighten the exposure just a little, darken the contrast slider a very small amount, put a 8 on clarity and a 4 on vibrance and saturation. You could try moderate on tone curve, but i'd expect linear is the better choice, lastly slap a lens correction if your gear is in the list.

i had a a little time on my hands, too cold and windy for ; any thing outside more than horse survival care, so i did pretty much what i proposed above to the third of the photos, i did a little more with the sliders than i gave you, although as i suspected linear is the better tone curve setting, if you work in lightroom let me know and i'll email you this preset so you can see what i did

[​IMG]

3. Pops

Pops Member

Thanks Gary for the advice. Your suggestions were helpful, especially increasing the exposure a little. I went back out to MK last night and may post some of those later (however I see a lot of difference in the lighting between England and Main Street.) I don't have Lightroom but use Aperture which I think has many of the same adjustments. ; Joining this Forum has been very helpful.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

If you want to create star burst effects on the lights, stop it down to f/16 or f/22. ; If you are in Aperture priority mode, your shutter speed will adjust. ; Use the lowest ISO you can, too.

5. Pops

Pops Member

Thanks Scott. Just heard that tip from someone else just the other day. I'll try it.