Disney's Star Wars trilogy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Virtualmgr, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Virtualmgr

Virtualmgr Member

After Disney bought Lucasfilm, the makers of Star Wars, do your think the force has weakened, or do you think the Jedi will continue unfazed? Will there be a need to balance the force, or has the empire prevailed?

2. blackbettie33

blackbettie33 Member

I think it will continue, I don't see them changing an all-time classic too much.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Can't get any weaker than the prequel trilogy. As classic as the originals were is how putrid the prequels were. And I grew up on Star Wars.

4. gokoko

gokoko Member

Anakin Skywalker brought balance to the force in the last Star Wars film, so I don't see there being to much of a deviation from the original movies. Since there will be only three more Star Wars films, villains probably will not be as powerful as Darth Vader and Darth Sidius. But I'm sure there will be villains though! And most likely, these villains will be fought by the younger Jedi trained by Luke Skywalker.

5. prplpwrrngr

prplpwrrngr Member

I was honestly a bit skeptical about the future of Star Wars when I heard that Disney bout LucasFilms, but with the recent updates, and how Disney handled Marvel i'm looking forward to how the new movies turn out. Also there is a lot of pressure on J.J. Abrams from Star Wars fans to redeem the latter half of the trilogy. I don't think he'll disappoint us.

6. trenchant

trenchant Member

I was and still am highly skeptical of what Disney will be able to do with the Star Wars series.

Though... one could argue that it's hard to get any worse than it already has, haha.

Nonetheless, I will look forward to seeing what they're going to come out with.

7. Wolfhyrr

Wolfhyrr Member

Let us not forget that Disney also handled Pirates of the Caribbean wonderfully. So we can expect some quality star wars work, besides we all know how picky George Lucas was... I think he was confident enough to sell Lucasfilm knowing his work wouldnt be tarnished.

8. bananafan

bananafan Member

I think they'll do a great job, honestly.

The series is in desperate need of revamping, and Disney has the resources to pour money and talent into it. And as other have pointed out, its not like Star Wars was doing all that great, so it was time to either forge ahead or fade away.

9. Jeremy Gilkes

Jeremy Gilkes Member

All I know is that they got the original cast back for the newest installment. They've got Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Mark Hammil and Peter Mayhew. They've even got C3Po back. I hope they do a good job with it but then again they also bought Marvel. Look at the Avengers. That movie turned out fantastic.

10. DavitosanX

DavitosanX Member

I'm also reassured by Disney's work on Pirates of the Caribbean. To be honest, if this trilogy goes well, they have my blessing to redo episodes I. II and III if they so wish. Then we can pretend they never existed and Star Wars will be well again!

11. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I like that JJ Abrams is directing. I'm excited to see the new movies, and love that the original cast is back; hopefully no just doing cameos.
    The prequel trilogy was terrible, I didn't even watch the last one.
    I wonder if Disney will have to release a new set of blu-rays or dvd's, George lucas style............ :D

12. TobyJ96

TobyJ96 Member

No matter what they do, story wise, they're going to have a big contingent of upset Star Wars fans to deal with.

Ignoring that--historically--Star Wars fans are some of the hardest to please, Disney made the
    choice to jettison twenty-years worth of novel, comic, and video-game continuity that has defined Star Wars for a generation. No matter how well written and/or produced the new trilogy ends up being, it's going to get blasted in hardcore [old guard] Star Wars fan-press for the simple fact that they (rightly) didn't want to be shackled to a library or minutia that the bulk of the movie going audience hasn't read and isn't going to read.​

13. bananafan

bananafan Member

The Extended Universe erasure is a shame, but no one I know was surprised by it. The fact that they've at least decided to keep them in print is a huge bonus though.

14. StaLock

StaLock Member

I don't think that they will do a bad job, even though I agree it cannot get any worse. I grew up on Star Wars and have always been a big fan. I do believe that they will keep up to par and will continue the way it should have been done, although I do believe they waited way too long to make these movies. It has been forever now since even the prequels came out.

15. TobyJ96

TobyJ96 Member

Didn't Lucasfilm already can the EU material--more or less--anyway with the Clone Wars series? After all the Mandolorians in the series were nothing like the ones in Karen Traviss's books.

16. tbalbe

tbalbe Member

I used to feel confident in JJ Abrams, but after seeing the new Star Trek I'm worried. That movie was pretty terrible, and my expectations for the new trilogy have diminished considerably.