Disneyland Near-Infrared Photography

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort (California)' started by WDWFigment, May 3, 2011.

1. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Just returned from a trip to Disneyland, where I took some shots of the parks with a modded camera capable of taking near IR photos. I will be sharing said photos in this thread.

To start things off, here's a shot of Partners:

[​IMG]
    Disneyland's Partners (Near-Infrared) by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

2. Paul

Paul Member

Very cool Tom, looking forward to more! ; Would love some details on the camera to.

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Agreed, very cool shot Tom! ; Looking forward to more!

4. Thats cool...and kind of creepy! That would be awesome for a Kingdom Keepers movie trailer! ;

By the way did I mention Im posting to you LIVE from the Boardwalk? ; Even better Im doing this from my balcony! ; We couldn't get the internet to work from the wall but I discovered a wireless signal called "Disney-Guest" that didn't ask for a credit card, user name/password or anything! ; From my research I've heard that Big River Grille and Wyland Gallery both have free WiFi and considering my room is right over Wyland I bet that's where I'm pulling the signal from.

Lots of pictures to come - stay tuned!

Again - cool shot Tom!

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Paul - the camera is a modded D70, which has the IR blocker removed (so its exposure times are virtually identical to what would be required of a "regular" camera). I don't know a whole lot about the "technical stuff," but I do know that the auto-focus has to be adjusted when the IR conversion occurs to the camera. For whatever reason, the focus misses a bit with my Sigma 8-16mm. Further, the camera has a small LCD screen, and I didn't test it much before the trip, so the first day's worth of shots I took with it (almost all with the 8-16mm), are basically trash. After that, I used the 11-16mm with the camera, and the focus was much better. No clue why this is, I'm guessing that it was just not calibrated with an 8mm lens.

Anyway, here's another shot:

[​IMG]
    Disneyland's Rancho del Zocalo - Near Infrared by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice work Tom!

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Tom! ; That's interesting that the AF was off on that one lens. ; I wonder if it was a problem with that specific lens or if the camera just wasn't calibrated for a lens that wide.

8. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks for the info Tom; that second shot is nice as well.

9. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

A lot of sites indicate with which lens the IR camera was calibrated, so my bet is that the UWA 8mm is just too wide. However, the 8mm fisheye works just fine. So...I don't know?

Here's one from WDW:

[​IMG]
    Disney Infrared: Mickey & Minnie Mouse Pose In The Cinderella Castle Rose Garden by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Click the photo to read more about my experience processing these photos.

10. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Sweet. ; I'm partial to the blue processing.