Disney to acquire Lucasfilms

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Scottwdw, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Wow! I just saw that! Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Oh my!! ; Will there be a Star Wars land now?

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

This is awesome! ; I can't wait to see what they do in the parks!!! ; I hope this means no Avatarland!

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

They are also doing Episodes 8 and 9 after 7. ; That would finish the original 9 stories Lucas pitched back in the 1970's. ;

6. ELinder

ELinder Member

This is amazing news. But in a way I hate to see Disney get any bigger. The parks are now such a small part of the business I can't help think less effort will be made to keep them the awesome experience they were. There's a special feeling that showed they cared about the parks that I find lacking at times lately. Anybody else?

Erich

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

If they do his story lines. ; They could go off on their own or use the Expanded Universe stuff. ; I am just very excited for whatever they do!

8. 4.5 billion in cash and stock options also get ILM and rights to Indiana jones

9. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I heard half of the monies was in cash!!!

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That's what I read too!

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I can't see Star Wars at DAK. ; Pandora is still going to move forward. ; The best bet is that Cars Land doesn't come now, instead it's a (finally) HP counter at DHS.

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I agree, no Star Wars in DAK, and with the leaked plans maybe Avatar goes forward. ; One can hope for Carsland and Star Wars in DHS (but not holding my breath)

13. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I heard a rumor on one of the podcasts I listen to that Cars land may be going in at DHS at the end of Pixar lane and replace the backlot studio tours. ; Just have to wait and see.

14. I agree, Erich. ; I think that if or when a park change comes, it should be gradual so as to allow the new part to soak in a little Disney. ; If there is to be a Star Wars expansion, it needs to push all boundaries of imagineering instead of something quick to satiate the masses.

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

There is another thread that is about the Carsland rumors where I posted an altered google map of DCAs Carsland superimposed in a couple different locations at DHS. ; Now with this, if they put Carsland into the backlot, Star Wars could expand into the swampland.

Sent from my iPhone...

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Hmmm...Dagobah, the planet of Yoda, was swamp-like.

17. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

You figure they have Tattoine already. ; Add in Dagobah, a Hoth themed ice cave restaurant (qs), the Cantina Bar (ts), a speeder bike roller coaster, and a toy story mania like x-Wing shooter.

Sent from my iPhone...

18. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'd like to see a whole Star Wars park, or a double-sized expansion of DHS with Star Wars theming. ; Anything that would drive 1/2 of the Disney crowd to flock to that park, so that I can enjoy the other parks without as much crowding! ; ;)

19. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Now that would be something... ; Star Wars Weekend all year long.

Sent from my iPhone...

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's an interesting purchase. ; I think I heard once that Disney already owned the theme park rights to Indiana Jones and Star Wars, so the purchase may not signal a huge expansion assuming they already owned the rights. ; However, I also heard that relations between Disney and Lucas were strained for several years after Star Tours made its debut, so that may have prevented further expansion at that time. ;

Anyway, I think that regardless of whether or not they could have expanded the Star Wars offerings in the parks before, they have the opportunity to time movie releases with new attractions at the parks to maximize the profitability of both portions of the franchise like Roger mentioned in a thread about a rumored roller coaster from a year or two ago.