Disney Magic sailing to Halifax, Saint John

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sean&Karen, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Disney Cruise Line announced Wednesday that it will be sending a cruise ship to Halifax and Saint John, N.B., for the first time in 2012.

The 2,400-passenger Disney Magic will be making nine trips to the cities from June through September. The stops will be part of its five-night cruises that begin in New York and move up the New England coast.

"We believe our guests are going to love this experience," Karl Holz, the president of Disney Cruise Line, said in a statement.

Michele Peveril, a spokeswoman for the Halifax Port Authority, said the port is always trying to diversify the kind of cruise ship customers being drawn to the city.

"They'll be tapping into passengers that may not have visited this region before. Obviously the demographic that each cruise line targets is slightly different," she said.

"Of course this will be a more family-oriented type of cruise than, say, some of the other customers that currently call Halifax."

There are currently 19 cruise lines using the port, bringing an estimated $50 million a year in economic spin-offs.

Peveril said Disney Cruise Line passengers alone are expected to generate $1.5 million to $2 million in consumer spending next year.

Stephen Campbell, the chair of the Saint John Port Authority, said the port had been talking to Disney Cruise Line for at least three years to try to seal the deal.

"It's sort of like the Academy Awards. You get a phone call and you realize that you're on the list. But it's very hush-hush," said Campbell.

"We've been quite excited about having this."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... ruise.html

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I think that this is great! ; I ALMOST wish that I was still living in NJ to take easy advantage of this one. ; Wait a minute, who am I kidding, I can take advantage anytime I want. ; ;) LOL!

3. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

that is awesome - I would definitely be up for that type of cruise!

4. obo101

obo101 Member

Great news. ; Loved our last Disney cruise and loved Halifax as well, so a nice combination.

5. 00003

00003 Member

I have not yet experienced any cruise. It is among the must-experience ride and travel. Disney is the place where fantasy and magic are brought to life, where we become kids again to dream and be inspired. Combining cruise with Disney is sure to be not just a full-pack of fun but also an insightful journey to take. I could not imagine how lucky those people who will get the chance to experience this. I commend Disney for extending itself to share joys and keep changing lives.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014