Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI and Corel Snapfire

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by MickeyBabe, Jul 2, 2007.

1. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

As suggested some time ago, I had downloaded a trial version of Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI and Corel Snapfire.

I had problems with the software being slow so I ultimately decided to buy Adobe Photo Shop Elements.

I want to uninstall the Corel programs, but have noticed that all of my photos are now identified in the properties as Snapfire Image and open with Snapfire.

My question is, if I uninstall Corel Snapfire, will I lose the images?

I had thought of transferring my images to discs but I believe there may be more photos than I have discs.

Please help!

2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

MickeyBabe,

From what it sounds like, you are only seeing the fact that Snapfire had associated itself with those filetypes when it got installed. This is common. This is how the operating system knows to open a file with MS Word when you double click a .DOC file or Excel with a .XLS file.

I have never heard of a uninstall process that deleted ones personal files as part of the uninstallation.

It is a good idea to backup your pictures though. Harddrives are not infallible

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Photoshop Elements has an excellent program (if you don't use RAW) to move your photos to CD/DVDs while keeping a small searchable thumbnail on your hard drive. If you label the CD/DVDs it will even tell you what disc to find the photo!

If you uninstall Snapfire, Windows will probably not assign a program to read the photos - but if you were to reinstall Elements it should ask you to associate the photo files to it.

4. Grumpwurst

If Photoshop Elements is anything like most modern packages these days, there is typically a way to have the application re-associate itself with the appropriate filetypes. If not, Roger is right, you can reinstall it.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yeah you are probably right Ray, but I always check the "do not check for file associations" box whenever I can. I also don't like how Adobe buried the setup items in their menu. It's probably there, but I don't know.

Heck I've got three or four licensed copies of Elements 4 sitting at home.

6. Grumpwurst

Roger,

I'm like you. I also check the "do not check for file associations" when I can. But if you can find it, you can recover from a situation such as this.

7. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

So... I am guessing that if I install my Photo Shop Elements and allow it to check for file associations, it should reassign all of those file types to Photo Shop and they will no longer have an association with snapfire allowing me to safely remove snapfire from my computer? ???

8. Grumpwurst

You can safely remove Snapfire without doing the re-installation of PhotoShop Elements. The installation will not remove any of the files you created or any of the pictures you took. It will only remove files directly associated with the program itself