Canon vs Sony.... Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by MickeyBabe, Dec 6, 2006.

1. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

So I go to purchase my new Canon SD800 IS (sight unseen) and I find there are more cameras that appeal to my senses.

First, the SD800 IS is bigger than I thought it would be. Not much, but definately bigger. Now it also seems to me to be cheaper looking, plastic and didn't feel as substantial as say the SD630 (which I sort of liked the size and look of). It could be that they didn't actually have batteries in the SD800 IS but that still doesn't make it smaller.

Admittedly I am big on bright and shiny/sparkly things so of course the uber cute looking new Sony DSC T-50 jumps right out at me. ::)

I am also swayed by the small size of the Canon SD630 and the 3 inch screen, but no IS. (Is this a good idea to lose?)

Both of these have the 3 inch screen which is very desirable to me, yet they both must trade off with no optical viewfinder. (Is this a good idea?)

The Sony has a version of the IS that was one of the "selling" points for me on the Canon SD800 IS.

Help me... I am sooooo confused!

Any thoughts on the Sony?

My criteria?

Let's see I wish to have the best product I can buy at this time covering these situations.....

* Least amount of shutter lag possible (don't want to lose precious moments)

* Larger screen size (my current is 1.5 inch) :eek:

* Rechargable battery pack

* Great photo clarity/quality

* The abliity to experiment with manual modes.

Since my initial digital was meant to take along with me easily on vacation (WDW) I'm thinking, if possible....

Night time shots

Interior attraction shots (with no flash)

Zoom and wide angle capabilities

That is for me.

I also need a camera for my daughter,she broke her last one, a Sony (can't remember the model), which she was quite happy with. (She is hard on electronics) I'd like to stay around the $150 price point but as low as $130 would be nice and I might be willing to go as high as $200 for the right camera.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

mickeybabe,

click here for the specs on the canon sd-800 IS http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/C ... d800is.asp

click here for the specs on the sony t-50 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/S ... dsct50.asp

personally, based on what you are asking, i would go for the canon (higher ISO capability for the darker interiors of rides and you dont need sony memory sticks and can use cheaper SD cards), but that is just my opinion. i havent used a point and shoot in years so i am pretty unfamiliar with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

Tim,

I have spent my morning pouring over this reviewer site and others making comparisions.

My head is about to explode.

Anyone experience with any of these?

4. Tim

sorry... none

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I haven't used the new Canon IS P&S models...but....

Sony uses a digital/sensor IS while Canon as far as I know is still using a lens based IS, which is superior. But without an optical viewfinder it's hard to really see it!

Read about the other brands IS and an average hit ratio of 50%.

6. I've tried the 800 IS.

Here are the main points I absolutely love from the 800 IS

1. I can handheld the camera at shutter speed as low as 1/8 second
    2. true wide angle (28mm)
    3. ISO 1600 capability. Although ISO 1600 sucks, ISO 400 (which is extremely useful for indoor shots) is very clean for a camera of its class and ISO 800 is decent enough to be useable.
    4. face detection, so when you hand the camera to somebody who doesn't know how to focus-lock-and-reframe, you'll get everybody's faces (up to 10 people) to be in focus (instead of that brick wall behind them).

Admittedly, I am biased towards Canon for cameras... just like I'm biased towards Sony for professional display devices (IMO their cameras are awful for the amount of $$ they're charging)

7. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

So Kelly.... The Image Stabilation is important enough that going with the SD630 would still not be an option in your opinion? (The bigger view screen and overall smaller camera size being a factor)

8. to me, viewing screen doesn't mean much because I'm used to dSLR (the viewfinder is less than 0.5").

As far as IS go, to me it's really important because the smaller and lighter the camera, the more prone it is to shakes. Heavier cameras, up to a certain point, forces you to hold the camera more carefully (none of those "holding the camera at an arm's length") which in return makes it more stable (less shaky).

a snippet from my photo tips:

9. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

Thank you Kelly :)

No I truly understand the need for IS.

Your tips made me giggle...
    Put it down and step away from the camera....

:D

10. forgot to add:

IS does NOT stop the subject's movements, it will only stop the camera movements. So if your subject is moving and shaking like there's no tomorrow, then IS or no IS will make no difference.

another snippet from my article:

11. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

Well... I took the plunge!!!

I now have a Canon SD800 IS in a box in my room

In my hot little hands soon (too much working ;) )

I will let you know how it goes and if I have any questions you can bet you will be the first to know ;D

12. Congratulations on the new camera! :D

13. gary

gary Member

congratulations on new camera, now for the important part
    read the instruction book, read the instruction book, read the instruction book
    take 10 photos, reread the instruction book, take another 10, delete 9 and keep what you feel is the best 1, read the instruction book again, take another 10, keep 1, reread the instruction book
    if it sounds like a broken record it's because it's the best thing outside of wearing out the shutter by taking lots of pics that you can do for yourself

true story, may 06, disneys magic, walking around the deck 4 exercise deck, come across a nice family puzzling over brand new looking olympus, one of the higher end p&s, they look dissapointed and i hear them very sadly discussing that maybe camera is bad right out of the box, offer to help and even though i am not familiar with the make, i figure out the basics of the lcd menu pretty fast, they are taking bright daylight full caribe sun photos on iso 800, of course they are blown out, i ask how to set iso and family all give me that deer in the headlights look, so after a little button stabbing i get it down to iso 100, work a little manual magic and presto a nice family on the pretty boat pic, turns out they just purchased 2 weeks before cruise, and only got as far as how to quick start in the manual, they did fess up to having it with them so i gently suggested reading it a little bit each day, this ain't brain surgery people, i see thenm 2 days later in st. martiins and they are already filling up a card with some useable photos
    gary

14. Tim

AMEN, g-money. classic advice.

15. MickeyBabe

MickeyBabe Member

What you two gentlemen fail to realize is that you are talking to a woman. ::) We always read the instructions. ;) (...and ask for directions for that matter) ;D

I am not exactly new to cameras, both 35 mm SLR and digital. I actually got this now so that I can experiment at Christmas, read up on the new features and be locked and loaded for my Spring/Summer Disney trips.

Thanks for the great advice. :)

16. that's true. Reading the manual is our second nature. Too bad babies don't come with manuals. ;D

17. mcpaul

mcpaul Member

Okay, so we aren't so good at instructions!!! (unless they come as pictures!!!)

For me - Canon every time!

Kelly - where's the full Kelly tips list? And babies? What??

18. Here's the not-so-full-list (tips 18/19/20 are still missing) listed on my friend's blog space http://photographybasics.blogspot.com/

about babies; well, if babies come with instruction manual, it's going to be easier to raise them :D

19. Tim

as they say in That 70's Show.... that a BURN!

20. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

To paraphrase H.I. McDunnough: "Heres the instruction manual" as he tosses a copy of Baby and Child Care into the getaway car.....