Bring back Michael Jackson's Captain EO?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by prettypixie, Jun 30, 2009.

1. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Ha!

I mentioned that to Tim yesterday. ; I was wondering when that was going to be brought up. ; Disneyland was open for 3 full 24 hour days when Captain EO opened. ; And it was removed because it was "stale"???

And how many years has HISTA been there, and it's not stale??????

3. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I think this is a bad idea. ; The film would be incredibly dated by today's standards, and Disney would have two issues if they brought it back: ; 1) capitalizing off Jackson's death; and, 2) associating with a controversial figure (which he will be again, once the initial shock of his death wears off).

Playing with fire, if you ask me. ; One Facebook group (or a few, whatever the case may be) and some online discussion forums is not an accurate barometer of future public reaction.

4. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very well stated Tom. You had to know this topic would come up sooner rather than later. While I did enjoy Captain EO which it was @ WDW, I don't think it would be a smart move to bring it back.

5. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I think they should at least release it on DVD. ;

But, I think he's not dead. ; Just an elaborate ruse to help him get out of debt. ; He dies, his intellectual property starts flying off the shelves

6. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

You can see the film on YouTube.

7. Dan

Dan Member

I've long felt they should bring it out on DVD. ; But.. I think what they should do is work out some way to do a sort of underhanded release. ; Create some cover group that could do it, some way to keep the inevitable controversy away from the Disney name. ; But that's probably impossible. ; Everyone knows where it came from, and they know that Disney would have to be behind a release.. unless they were to go to some sort of great length and create a whole ruse about some other entity having IP rights to the film, and let's face it they're not going to do that.

Thanks for the heads up on it being on youtube. ; I'd never thought to look there, at least that's something. ; A while ago I encountered a low quality realaudio copy, audio only, and I was thrilled even to find that.