Better Camera Backpack

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by rovies, Mar 13, 2014.

1. rovies

rovies Member

Looking to get a new camera backpack for the next Disney World Trip. ; Have been using the Tamrac Adventure 7 which has been ok but looking for something with a little more space but not huge and easilly accessible. ; Not sure if there is that perfect camera backpack for Disney or not. ; I usually take either my Nikon D7000 or my Nikon D80 with a 18-200 lens and a 35 prime. ; This year my daughter wants to take her Canon SX50 and I know I will end up being the one to carry it most the time. ; Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I have a Think Tank Airport Essentials backpack that I really like. ; It has room for a body and all of my lenses. ; It might be a little more than you want, though. ; Check out the other products from Think Tank to see if they have one you like.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'm a fan of the Lowepro Fastpack series if you aren't needing to bring a pro lens (the two you mentioned would fit comfortably) because the top compartment is wide open for packing your "other" things needed at WDW/DLR. ; The design allows you to swing the backpack off and gain access from the side of the bag rather than having to open it all up.

I've jerryrigged it into holding a tripod by using the side mesh pouch and adding my own strap at the top to secure the top part of a tripod.

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Buying a camera bag is like buying a camera: ; do the research and ask for opinions, but ultimately you have to go to a camera store and put your hands on several to see which one you really like.

5. I own the Amazon Basics camera backpack. ; I've taken it to WDW 3 times and have never had problems. ; I fit my D7000, 24-70mm f/2.8, and a 70-200mm f/2.8, rocket blower, battery pack and charger in it while in the parks. ; Even with all that weight, the shoulder straps have enough padding to stay comfortable. ; The zippers are beefy and reliable. ; The part that is up against your back is also padded. ; Backpack comes with a 2nd zipped compartment where I store any documentation, zipped compartments for batteries, SD cards, etc., and a 3rd zipped compartment on the very back where I keep my lens pen and spare cleaning cloths.

Not bad for $29.99.

6. I'm not a pro, actually far from it, but enjoy taking pictures and learning along the way. I am also looking for a good overall bag. I have a dedicated Kata bag but it does not allow me to carry other items that I would need at the parks. I generally have to carry a change of clothes, cell phone chargers, back up batteries, sunglasses, water bottles, and anything else my family may need for a fill day and night at the parks. Add all of this with my Nikon D90, SB900 flash, a 35mm, 50mm, super wide, and zoom lens.

I agree that camera bags are complex and everyone has different needs and preference so there is no one bag that will fit everyone's needs and/or wants. I actually go against the gain and have tried to purchase non-camera bags. The most recent purchase is the Vaude Bike Alpin 25+5. Got it home, packed it up and still room to spare.

Gonna give it a try at MK on May 23 for the 24hour party. I will report back.