Another surprise, another conference: May 31-June 8

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

On the last full day of my last trip instead of the conference I went to an industry software provider that has an office a few miles north of MCO. Well, it appears my company may be making a switch to their software this year, and their annual user conference is the first week of June, at the Boardwalk. My son's school is over on 5/30, so the timing is perfect (except that everyone else in TX will be getting out of Dodge as well) - but I know many other states aren't going to be out that early.

I'll know soon if I am actually going, but right now it looks like I am.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mousefan

mousefan Member

Don't you just LOVE conferences? We have used my wife's conferences as a springboard to a vacation about 5 times. The company pays for the hotel the first 4 nights. ;)
    This year it starts June 8th thru the 11th, and we stay until the 16th.
    BTW, has anyone ever stayed at the Gaylord Palms in Kissimmee? We are there 3 nights.

3. Roger

I didn't stay there; my last conference was there however. I didn't hear any complaints about it. I stayed at Pop Century (saved my company 50% of the cost of the Palms a night), and it was only 5 mins away.

It is a very nice hotel, I wish I had brought my camera for the Spanish Fort waterplayground and animals they have in the indoor courtyard.

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

The Conference luck is spreading around here at TMIP! Congrats on your double conference run.

I stayed at Boardwalk the first week of June last year (over in the DVC side) and though it was super sultry and hot as summer tends to be, it was great to stay there for the night life on the Boardwalk and the easy access to Epcot without having to walk as far (since if you're hot and tired, you can take the boat right to the turnstyles, and enter).

I'm still trying to figure out when during the summer is a good time to book - I'm usually up there sometime in June or July.

Have fun!

5. mousefan

mousefan Member

Justin

What is the lowdown on Boca?
    We are possibly looking to relocate and Boca was in the pool of cities we are thinking of.

Just curious.

-Joe

6. zackiedawg

If you like white-sand, teal-water beaches, wildlife-filled swamps, huge mansions, exotic cars, five-star restaurants, golf, pools, year-round summer, wading birds walking in your front yard, valet parking, movie theaters with full-bars wait-service and reserved seats, and love the color green...you've found home!

Peruse my galleries for alot of shots around town:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

The galleries of "Florida Beach Life", "Morikami Gardens", "Wakodahatchee Wetlands", "South Florida Scenes", "Florida Everglades", "Polo-Sport of Kings", and "At and Around Home" are all local shots in and around the Boca area.

There are ridiculous amounts of wealth down here...more than seems possible...so you quickly lose perspective on the rest of the nation (here, it seems the average home is 7,000 sq ft and runs about $1.1M, everyone drives a $70K+ car and buys their kids a BMW, and Rolexes are given out at the city gates as you enter). It's a kind of skewed fantasy world sometimes!

But the beaches are gorgeous, the city has money so everything is kept clean, well watered, well paved, and always-new. There are probably as many restaurants as there are people. Malls are filled with posh names and don't-ask-if-you-can't-afford prices. But, those can be nice perks if you get to live here even as an average Joe. I can have a small house, a Volkswagen to drive, and a moderate watch instead of a Rolex...but I still get the beautiful landscaping, high land values, great restaurants, excellent roads, gorgeous tropical beaches, etc.

I spent some of my younger growing-up years here in the early 80s, then left for college, and moved to California after. I resettled here in 1994, and have loved it ever since. I only occasionally miss mountains and seasons...but that's what I try to make up for during my vacations!

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Must be nice to have to go to so many "conferences" ;)

8. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Yeah it's nice to have parents that do a lot of business in Orlando :) I hate it when people use emoticons.

9. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I think most of the organizations my wife and I are associated with have the better sense to not hold conferences anywhere near Orlando. They are smart enough to know that noone will show up to the conference at play at WDW all day.

My wife had a conference in Anaheim, walking distance from Disneyland, last year and many, many people did just that. Signed up, collected their CEU's, then went to Disneyland

ETA:

Which was the trip where I made friends with our illustrious forum master.

10. Roger

Ah yes, but when the company has their tech support office in Orlando...there's a reason it's being held there!

11. zackiedawg

Our company usually holds conferences in places with lots of entertainment - Las Vegas, San Diego, Nashville, Orlando, etc. Orlando and Vegas are fairly regular...every couple of years.

They counter the temptation by plying us with open bars, lots of free food, lots of entertainment, and lavish Bacchanalian parties that are so wild and fun that everyone wants to stick around for them.

During my 4 day conference, I got over to the parks 2 of the nights, but none of the days. But that's why you book a few days before or after the conference for pure play time!

12. Grumpwurst

I'm sorry but it would take alot to trump going to a Disney Theme Park

13. Roger

Vegas??? Umm. I think at times that would trump....

14. Grumpwurst

I don't gamble and I don't like stage shows, so the only thing Vegas has to offer me is hot, dry air

15. Roger

Ummm....the M&M store? Lots of photographic opportunities? (I see your point.)

16. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Probably not as spectacular as the one in Vegas but there is an Apple store and an M&M store in the Florida Mall.

17. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

we love the Florida Mall! We have even stayed at the hotel a few times. The hotel has a great little bar/restaurant on the first floor- Crickets. We always get avacado fries.

18. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Haven't spent a whole lot of time there but I've bought a power supply for a powerbook there before.

19. Roger

Avocado fries? Do tell! Now you're making me crave chips & queso with guac!

20. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I lllloooooovvvvvveeeee quac! It beats out queso in my book