and suddenly, cuteness broke out

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by Dan, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Dan

Dan Member

I was at Flights of Wonder, eagerly awaiting any exotic birds that I could get some good pictures of. I'd already gotten some great shots of the owl they show off during the pre-show (sometimes ISO 3200 blows me away with how good the pictures can still look). And then all of a sudden I found myself experiencing something incredibly cute.
    I don't remember the exact details now, but basically this cockatoo wasn't behaving according to the plan for the show. So the guy who was leading the show announced that since the bird wasn't behaving he'd do a little impromptu training right in the middle of the show. I actually respect that, he didn't get flustered when things didn't go right, he just laughed it off and worked with the bird.
    What they did was this routine where they'd alternately turn away from each other and then look straight at each other, practically touching beak to nose. No, it wasn't attempting to eat his nose, that was just part of the posture he'd adopt when he turned towards the trainer. It kind of looked like a game you'd play with a baby. The bird also leaned forwards, as you can see, it gave the bird a very perky, attentive look.

This would probably be better explained in video.. but I was dedicated to shooting only still shots for the show, trying to get some good bird shots (since wild bird photography, perhaps more than any other type of wildlife photography, demands very long lenses that I don't have, this was a chance for me to get some unique shots.. besides the fact that Illinois isn't known for it's flocks of wild cockatoos, or any other exotic birds really)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Great shot, Dan! What lens were you using here? I'm guessing a zoom telephoto by the looks of the soft background but the subjects are tack sharp. Great expressions on both the trainer and bird. ;D

3. Scott

Scott Member

Agreed. I always enjoy Flights of Wonder. Such a neat show that doesn't get old no matter how many times you see it.

4. Dan

Dan Member

That would be the mighty Canon 70-200F4L. Zoomed in all the way to 200mm too.

I've rethought my position on not trying to get picked for the bit where they have you sit on stage and have a bird fly straight towards you so you can get a dramatic action picture. I figured they wouldn't pick me on some vague theory that they'd try to pick someone with a P&S because someone with such high end looking equipment probably gets opportunities like that all the time.. ya'know, assuming that that sort of photographer must be a "pro".
    Well darnit, I want that shot! I want to see how well the AI servo focus mode tracks the incoming bird, I want to switch over to full burst mode and click shots away for the entire approach.. I have no idea how well it would work out, I've heard differing opinions on the effectiveness of the AI servo on Canon's lower end cameras (by which I mean not their 1D series). But it could be great.
    For now on I'm raising my hand and looking eager when they ask for volunteers. I'll have to work on my "me me me!" expression.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Ummm coming right at you or at an angle? My guess is 25%, but I would use AI Focus. Something the D series doesn't have. And if Rob Galbraith's review is correct as believed by many photographers who bother to post - the 25% is better than the D series. Well at least the new D.

6. Dan

Dan Member

This would probably be coming right at me.

Why AI focus, though?

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

On my D30 I found that AI Servo would continue to hunt for focus on static objects, which explains why they added AI Focus - which is supposed to know when your target isn't moving and basically go to "one-shot" mode until it moves again.