Adorama

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by mainstreet1997, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Any experience with the online store Adorama?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

as far as i know they are reputable, but i have never dealt with them... (B&H baby!)

3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I use to always deal with Adorama. They have very fast service, well packed, priced right, no scams.
    But, I no longer really like them. I had a major problem with them on the back end dealing with charge cards. At that point customer service took a nosedive. It took four months to clear it up, including disputing with the card, and numerous phone calls back and forth.
    I would buy from them again if I need to, but I haven't in over a year.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

They supplanted B&H as my main place a few years ago. But B&H is coming back to my main supplier. No problems - price is sometimes very competitive to B&H on most items, and sometimes better!

5. LOL Tim, thats my other choices. Im pricing out my newest lens and deciding where to buy.

6. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

I've bought from Adorama several times. They are a reputable dealer, one of the more well-known in photography circles, and are often cheaper than B&H.

When I buy stuff, price is ususally my biggest concern, but there are certain pieces of gear that I want the most reliable customer service for, so for cameras and lenses I prefer to spend the extra for B&H, while for smaller stuff I will happily go to Adorama, NewEgg or a local place to save a few bucks.

7. mousefan

mousefan Member

If anybody is a NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) member, B&H offers free shipping to members.

8. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Adorama over the years, and never had a problem. My main sources for photography gear are Amazon, B&H, Adorama, and jr.com (if no one else has it in stock). All have done well for me over the years.

9. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I usually check the price on adorama but haven't bought anything from there.

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've bought from them twice - no problems both times. I tend to shop a bit for the best prices, and nearly always end up with Adorama, B&H, or lately Amazon (who uses a few camera gear resellers - but I never really care which as Amazon backs it with their own guarantees).

I got my T100/R ultra-compact last year from Adorama, just before my cruise in November. I actually sold them my old F717 for a pretty decent price, then they had the lowest price on the T100 too...so I ended up 'trading' my 6-year-old F717 for the T100/R, which was listed at $279 on sale ($399 list)...only had to pay $50 difference.

Ironically, the F717 had also come from Adorama.

I bought my DSLR-A300 and two primary lenses from B&H a few months ago - they had either equal or better prices, plus were in stock with all three parts I wanted. My recently-bought Kata R103 camera backpack came from Amazon. I guess I'm not a terribly loyal customer! ;)

You should be fine if you go with Adorama or B&H...they're both some of the more reputable camera stores out there.

11. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but I've found that B&H and Adorama are both pretty overpriced. As an alternative to really overpriced B&M camera shops, I suppose they're fine, but they can't touch other online retailers. My sources are usually eBay (which you simply can't beat with Live.com cashback) and Amazon, with Abes of Maine a possibility if they have a coupon or good special.

12. Scott

Scott Member

The only thing I don't like about Adorama's website is they don't tell you whether or not an item is in-stock. B&H's site will tell you that.