Adobe changes upgrade policy in time for CS6

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Roger, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten ... 1667-12100

The new policy, effective with CS6 Upgrade, is that only the previous version is eligible. ; Personally, I can understand why they are doing this BUT they should follow Microsoft's lead.

Microsoft doesn't offer upgrades to Office 2010, but you can get a good business FULL version (no media) for under $200. ; That used to be over $400 previously....if they do that for the full version they probably won't see a backlash....

2. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Does anyone know if you can upgrade from Windows CS5 to Mac CS6?

3. gary

gary Member

when i switched to mac i called them and they sold me the full cs4 for mac, at the upgrade price that i would have paid for pc cs3 to cs4 upgrade

4. Roger

You should be able to Jeff. ; If you have a non-student version of CS they can transfer your license.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Scott Kelby posted an open letter to Adobe on his blog today. ; While he repeatedly pointed out that Adobe is a business and has every right to do whatever they want to, he did express his opinion that they were making a mistake with the timing of the announcement. ; He felt that since CS5 is nearing the end of its life that Adobe should announce that the policy would go into effect with the release of CS7. ; That way everyone who planned to follow the old upgrade path could have the opportunity to upgrade to CS6 in preparation to follow the new upgrade path rather than throw money away upgrading to CS5 at the end of its life cycle to then be able to upgrade to CS6 when it comes out. ; It will be interesting to see if Adobe responds.

6. Roger

Well Adobe has previously announced what they want - a monthly subscription license for their products. ; In fact I think it will be the main option for CS6. ; If they keep the cost the same but spread it out over the lifespan of the product, it may be easier for people to swallow than this kind of manner....

It concerns me because I am planning on using the closest thing to Aperture out there for Windows. ; Which means Adobe.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

I didn't know about the monthly subscription until Scott Kelby mentioned it briefly in his letter. ; Now that you mention that Adobe wants everyone to go in that direction that scares me even more. ; We deal with Autodesk products at work and they've gone to a subscription system. ; The problem with Autodesk is that because they charge a yearly subscription fee, everyone expects a new product every year. ; The result is that they release a buggy product every year instead of a solid product every two or three years like they did before. ; While that's not a problem for the big firms who have a CAD manager (sometimes a whole department of them) who can get the new version and implement it every year, the small firms can't keep up because we can't afford to deal with buggy software when it first comes out and we don't have the time to re-create our custom functions every year. ; That model sucks but Autodesk gets away with it because are the best game in town. ; I would hate to see Adobe go down that road.

8. Roger

Autodesk...autodesk...why is that...oh ; yeah. ; The company that has made the EULA legal and evil - they only rent you their software and it's non-transferable. ; Which they enforce.

9. HW

HW Member

10. Paul

Paul Member

Don't think I will ever need photoshop, not with Lightroom and the many options from the Mac App store for MUCH cheaper. ; They may not have all the power of photoshop, but it is only a matter of time. ; Also, there are so many good plugins from On One (Perfect layers) and Nik.