A very quick rule of thirds tutorial (composition guide)

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Tim, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

so i was going thru my pics from the epcot photo tour and i discovered that this pic is a text-book example of the rule of thirds guideline. for those of you who attended my photo tours in epcot and the magic kingdom (day time tours) this is what i was harping on. once you get the hang of this, it becomes second nature. but first, a little primer...

rule of thirds suggests breaking up the viewfinder into thirds, horiz. and vertically. imagine lines running thru the thirds and interesecting to make a tic-tac-toe type of grid on the viewfinder and use the lines and intersections to guide the composition. you want to put the points of emphasis on the intersections (known as power-points) and the horizon or similar elements on the horizontal lines. a vertical element can go on a vertical line. you want to avoid centering things if you can because it leads to a boring picture.

in this image, the top of the bldg. is on the top third line, the title is on the bottom third line, and the orb in centered on in the image, but on the top third line as well. i framed it this way to make it more interesting than if the orb was dead center.

Remember, this is only a guideline and not to be used every time. Rules are meant to be broken (photo wise, anyway) and knowing what the rules are will help you know when to break them.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014