5DMk2: 21.1 MP, 1080p movies, 3.9 fps, up to ISO 25600. Hard drives not incl.

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/News/Co ... ws/EOS.asp

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=17662

The rest of it:

3" LCD
    Dust removing sensor
    Digic IV

Oh and that direct print button apparently is the new live view button. Or they added another button just for that.

Anyway, this is going to really ruin the market for the 1DsMkIII, which has...uhh 21.1MP.

Current recommended MSRP: $2699 US.

Price point is interesting: cheaper than the original 5D when it came out, and about 1/3 the price of the 1DsMkIII. Again, this is going to ruin the market for the 1DsMkIII. Triple the price for 1.1 more fps, no movie mode, and an extra card port: SDHC (not dual CF), and lower max ISO.....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

To quote Glen Quagmire: "Giggity".

3. Tim

release date?

4. Roger

November 2008. Using the Edsel as a benchmark, that means it will be available sometime after December 26, 2008.

I've been digesting this for the past few hours. I'm convinced that they've shot themselves in the foot. The video mode is king here, because it's probably the first one to meet the specs for true modern PJs (ie it's full HD, and it will use contrast AF), but this isn't a PJ camera. It doesn't have the speed, build a la the 1D series. (This is probably a hint towards what the 1D Mk IV will have in the spring.....)

The basis for me saying that is: This is not the camera I was hoping for last year. I didn't get the 5D because of the fps and the buffer size. 3 fps is just a little too slow, and 17 frames is okay for 3 fps, but a little more couldn't hurt. The Mark II buffer maxes out at 13 in RAW only, and bumps it up to 14 if you're using a UDMA card. So you get an extra 0.9 fps and a smaller buffer.

Not to mention still using a non-pro AF system. But then again, who would really want Canon's pro AF system in the new 5D?

5. Roger

Canon Korea has more sample images than Canon Japan (2) or Canon USA (0).

http://www.canon-ci.co.kr/

When you get to the 5DMk2 page, it's the third tab under the picture of the camera.

Right now all I can say is the 15mm fisheye has HORRIBLE CA. Horrible. (It's the one ISO 6400 sample shown)

6. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Is this a significant step forward for Canon from the old 5d?

7. Roger

I don't know. Movie mode is new, but this is only the 2nd traditional SLR with it.

The only thing I can tell that is really different is that they have come out with a "prosumer" body with the same # of MP as one of their flagships (or the flagship really). Considering that the flagship isn't due for a refresh for another 2 years....

8. Tim

since i dont often shoot in burst mode, fps and buffer size are not dealbreakers for me. the other specs and price point are very attractive.

9. Roger

Check out some of the sample images online Tim. I tried downloading one from Canon Japan, but it kept stalling 4 megs into the 12 meg JPEG....apparently the 24-105's shortcomings are highlighted with this size sensor (CA, softness at the borders). There are reasons why Canon 1DsMk3 users were using the Nikon 14-24 and the Nikon Zeiss lenses (which Zeiss has corrected)....

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Cool, maybe now the D700 will come down in price.

BTW, do any of you have any interest in the movie modes which seems to be the next must be included bell for dSLRs? I'm a photographer. If I want video, I'd buy a video camera. I guess someday they'll all be photo-video cameras for the youTube generation. ???

11. Roger

I kind of do. It's the only reason to have a P&S until recently. But with sites like LiveLeak, and BreitbartTV, the writing is on the wall that the new PJ will have both a still camera and a video camera, and if you can get it in one unit, you've won. Red is hinting at theirs to be released by 4Q2009. People want video nowadays it seems.

YouTube generation is right. Some of the P&S models even have a special YouTube movie mode now! (records at YouTube size) The biggest advantage is that we'll have movies that can take advantage of the smaller DoF and large aperture lenses/low light sensors without as much noise.

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tim, you should be able to make even bigger prints with this baby! I'm still getting by with 6MP so 12 will seem like heaven when I get there.

Think we'll see you with one of these at Mousefest? :)

13. Tim

I SURE HOPE SO!

14. Roger

I'm hoping that Nikon is still planning something for tomorrow.....

15. Dan

Dan Member

I'm excited about this one. I figured I was destined to upgrade to the 50D, but... even though this is going to be at least a thousand dollars more, and my general focus is on telephoto shooting where crop is king, well.. I want that HD recording. I mean.. forget the HD, I'd settle for a very high quality standard definition video recording. But if I can go full HD then I'm not going to fight it.

By Dpreview's description it sounds like the contrast detection AF may be kind of slow, so it's not exactly going to replace camcorders (pro or consumer) as an all around video shooter, but I can learn to work within the limitations.

I've been salivating at the idea of maybe getting a used prosumer camcorder. Canon has a few nice offerings, not only for the better image quality but for the better quality lenses, the ability to directly manipulate aperture to do the same things in video that I can do for still now.

Now all of a sudden for the cost of one of those high end prosumer camcorders (new, not used, mind you) I can just about get an HD flash recorder that's also an intimidating still camera with enough resolution to demand a drastic increase in storage capacity, both flash and hard drive.

Two sobering thoughts, though. First up, Dpreview says it can shoot a maximum of 12 minutes HD video at a time. Using the stated rate of 4.8 megabytes per second file size, that 12 minutes will use up 3.5 gigabytes of space.

Talk about fearing for my storage capacity! I just picked up one 16 gigabyte card. Were I to acquire this I'd be picking up more. Although to get a UDMA card could up the cost significantly. I don't know if there are any intermediate size settings between 1080P (1920x1080) and 640x480.

Second issue is audio. Dpreview says "built in mic and speaker". It also has a microphone input, I know no details such as if it's stereo capable or what not.

If it's recording full resolution 1920x1080P video with the audio coming from a low quality mono microphone buried somewhere in the body that's going to sour the experience. I'm wondering if the three small holes beneath the 5D logo is where the mic is located.

I actually don't know where it fits in. I'm excited, as I've said, I have pretentions towards being a director as well as a photographer, there are a number of small projects I'd like to do for fun. For people like me it opens the door to reasonably high end video making without requiring an investment in an entirely different type of gear.

To heck with youtube. Youtube is highly compressed low quality video. It's for people who want to post pictures of their dog doing something cute. If someone gets a 5D mark II and spends most of their time posting their videos to youtube I'll track them down and... er.. give them a stern talking to.

Mind you distributing a 12 minute 3 and a half gigabyte video is no small task, even as bandwidths increase the ISPs are starting to complain more and more about people that actually use some of the bandwidth that they're provided with. If you live in New York you may have an ISP that limits you to 5 gigabytes of transfer for an entire month! As they realize they can get away with it more are likely to follow that example.

But for wannabe directors, film students and the like, I'm less certain. A prosumer (or outright professional) camcorder is going to autofocus better, have better audio support (including better audio connectors), and have superior ergonomics. Frankly the video quality will probably be better also, I just don't believe that a DSLR adapted to shoot video can beat hardware specifically designed to shoot video.

I guess my thinking is that this will be a good match for people like me. People that want to be shooting both video and stills, general purpose visual recording. However since the video functionality is added in at no extra cost (at LESS cost according to what has been said here) it's also a gateway to video shooting for people not into it to begin with.

I want this to be a revolution, I want it to be the gateway to still photographers moving into the world of moving pictures, I want it to be a generation of photographers becoming hybrid photo/videographers. It will certainly be that for some, but I fear it'll be a novelty for many.

Give it time to settle in, perhaps one or two later revisions to refine the concept, and it has potential to be big.

16. Tim

dan, my 4 word answer to your 794 word post (that HAS to be a TMIP record) is...
    i want one, BAD!

the specs on the MKII are just FILTHY! can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on it. it seems like the are pitting the 5dMKII straight up against the D700 and that is only good for all of us.

very likely my current 5d will be going up for sale very soon to make way for the MKII. (anyone) send me a PM if you are interested and we can try to get the ball rolling.

17. Dan

Dan Member

Ya'know, it took me a moment to figure out if that was a good or a bad thing.

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

:D Sometimes you have to make something sound very bad to realize just how good it really is! It won't be long before sensors are so good, they'll be sooooo very bad. ::)

19. Tim

IT. IS. TIME.
    It just came and I can't wait to check out the so-called "Jesus Camera", as stated by Leo Laporte.

Quoting LEO LAPORTE'S TWITTER FEED,
    I couldn't be more happy with the 5D Mark II, especially its low light and video performance. Colleen calls it the "jesus camera." It's true
    11:16 PM Dec 14th from web

Haven't done anything with it yet but first impressions are this thing is SOLID. More later.

20. Roger

Congrats Tim.

Can't wait for the construction paper star shots!