Wreck of the Hispaniola

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, May 19, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I always liked cruising the lagoon from MK to Fort Wilderness as it just seems to peaceful and 'out there' cruising all that way. ; And there was always the mysterious 'wreck' you pass along the way:

[​IMG]

On Discovery Island's quiet southern coast sits this wreck, rumored to be the wreck of the Hispaniola, but actually thought by many to be Captain Flint's wrecked Walrus. ; Discovery Island has long since been abandoned and retaken by the elements, and the wreck sits lost and forgotten, shrinking, rotting, and fading.

Shall anyone ever care again? ; Rumors have been floating since the island's abandonment in 1999 that it would be used again - resort bungalos, a Tom Sawyer like maze, a pirate lair. ; Ironic that last one actually...some very few early WDW visitors might remember that Discovery Island was once Treasure Island, and very early in its debut, actually did have a treasure hunt, a pirate guide, campfires on the beach, and a generally aaarrrrrgh time. ; The wreck is a small remnant of the earliest days of planning on this island...and maybe someday, a real historic landmark for the new pirates to talk about!

2. Paul

Paul Member

I agree that is a peaceful cruise Justin. ; In fact I did that this past Mousefest since I wanted to go to Wilderness Lodge and take some photos. ; There is just something about being on the water there that relaxes you.

3. zackiedawg

Thanks Paul. ; Looking forward to the ride soon, especially on those hot summer days!

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

It really is a nice little trip. ; We used to head over to FW Campgrounds for lunch but the menu was reduced and the offerings were not the same. ; I guess we will have to head there for dinner in order to get the great meal again at Trails End.

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

When we are staying at the Poly, it is part of the tradition that we rent the Mouse Sprites or whatever they are calling them now, and cruise around the lagoon. ; It is a great place to hang out in the boat for a little while, or all day. ; I used to like the Sea Doo Jet ski boat that the Contemporary used to have, because it was real fast and you could cover more of the lake, but I think that some people had gotten really hurt on it, and they stopped renting it.

6. zackiedawg

The boat rides on Bay Lake for the resorts are still some of my favorite rides in Disney - parks included. ; The lakes are big, there's always a lovely cool breeze, the gentle rocking...I especially like the small open fringe-topped boats as opposed to the big yellow indoor ones (though on those, I usually try to get a seat on the bow outside).

7. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Thanks for sharing that Justin. I have never been out there, but always wanted to go. Hopefully they will do something with the Island again soon.