Wow - fall colors in Magic Kingdom!

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, May 2, 2012.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Playing around a bit with PSP and some plugins, I happened upon this particular plug in style in Nik Color Effects:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the action converts green foliage into fall colors - it's a no-mess action - just select, adjust intensity, and done! ; The two original shots were green as could be, but with this action they look like fall in full effect!

For comparison, here's the Big Thunder Mountain original:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I'd say the only thing they could do to make it better would be to have an equal distribution of yellow leaves as well. ; Aside from the blue sky it almost looks like you just tinted the entire photo red. ; Cool concept though.

Sent from my iPhone...

3. zackiedawg

I think they do - I haven't delved deeply into it, but the action had a few controls and one had a drop down of panels with reds, oranges and yellows in varying degrees, along with saturation and strength sliders. ; This was a one-click first test of it - but it'll be fun playing with it more to see what it does.

4. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

wow! thats cool!

5. zackiedawg

Thanks...I would definitely like to spend a little more time seeing how all the manipulations work with it. ; I just happened upon it last night, and spent no more than a few seconds converting these two shots.

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Cool. ; I too would like to see more of this, cant wait to see what you can create next!

7. gary

gary Member

move up here to the northeast, we can show you the real thing for 2-3 weeks every year, no photoshop needed

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That is cool! ; I really like that Nik plug in Justin. ; There is so much to do with it, it amazes me.

9. zackiedawg

Gary - I finally got a good view of the real thing this past October up north:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No photoshop actions for those fall colors.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  10. zackiedawg

Fall Colors again - this time with layers

Sure enough - ran the Nik Color Effects again on a shot, and this time, applied different fall colors to each of 3 layers - not much more complex, as essentially I'm just running the Nik application 3 times in succession. ; Then I just chose which trees to make which color, and erased off the other layers. ; In some spots, I left all the Nik colors off and left the original green like in the lawn and some flowers:

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Wow Justin! ; This is awesome! ; Does Nik Color Effects cost alot? ; Will is run with Elements? ; I really love this shot!

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. ELinder

ELinder Member

Cool!

14. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That is awesome Justin.

John, Nik Color Efex comes with Paint Shop Pro Ultimate, I am not sure what the cost is, or if it will run with Elements. ; It is what made me go with PSP.

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Got it, thanks Jeff!

16. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Nik says it will run with Elements, so I'd trust their word.

17. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. zackiedawg

I'd be 99% sure it would run with Elements. ; Most of the offerings by Nik, Topaz, etc are designed as Photoshop Plugins, which Paint Shop Pro can also use. ; It's the same plug in format used for both systems.
    Thanks guys - there's a lot more to the Nik plugins, and some are really nice, some are really fun, and some are just simple enhancements - you can go mild to wild on most of them. ; I also play around with Topaz Adjust which has a ton of different actions, as well as huge control over every parameter - the Nik Color Effects is a more simple palette of color and contrast actions that you can tweak - not as involved or with as much control as Topaz, but also much faster and easier to use when you just want to experiment or add a little pop.

19. zackiedawg

BTW - for the sake of comparison, here's the original of that Victoria Gardens shot:
    [attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

20. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Very cool! I love Nik software. I did the same thing for a client not too long ago. We took photos in early October when the leaves were just starting to change. Using different layers and NIK color efex I was able to make the leaves look like the leaves were in their peak.