Wilderness Lodge, inside and out (7imgs)

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Jan 24, 2007.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Some recent shots I took of Wilderness Lodge while there January 11 - 15:

The backyard view:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love that lobby!:
    [​IMG]

Hidden Mickeys in the design:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from across the lake by Discovery Island:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

very nice, justin. can't wait to stay there.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. zackiedawg

Thanks Tim.

Any upcoming trips planned yet? When's your next visit?

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

You know the Grand Californian looks eerie-lly similar.

Except at Grand Floridian prices.

Oh yeah, that Paul "Never met a merchandise shop he didn't like" Pressler did a great job... (wasn't that hard for WDI to pull the Wilderness Lodge blueprints out of storage)

5. zackiedawg

I guess at least if you're going to copy...copy something good!

The Animal Kingdom Lodge actually shares quite a bit of the design architecture as well - just with an African theme and decor - so with the Californian there are three such designs!

Not sure about the Californian - but the two lodges have some of my favorite architecture and design for the main lobbies and hotel grounds, but have some of the smallest rooms compared to the 'older' Disney World resort hotels. For the money, the rooms at Contemporary & Polynesian feel much larger to me.

6. barrie

barrie Member

Grand Floridian has that same cookie cutter design as well.

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

You're right about the Grand Californian - $300+ a night for the "value" rooms...tiny. Chairs are tiny too.

8. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I love the view from across the lake. Probably my favorite resort.

9. TinkAttitude

TinkAttitude Member

the pictures above are breathtaking!
    we've loved wl and stayed there since it was built and now are dvc wl villas members!

10. zackiedawg

Thanks Gdad and Tink.

And congrats on joining the DVC family Tink! My home resort is Boardwalk, but I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge DVC alot during the summer - I love the paths through the woods to the campgrounds, and taking the boats into the Kingdom or over to the Contemporary.

11. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

july 15 - july 27... staying at boardwalk villas. hope to see you (or anyone else from the site) there.
    send me a PM if you are interested in a meet-up.

12. HW

HW Member

that lobby shot is cool

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Wilderness Lodge

we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge on January 13, same time as Justin. Before I found TMIP!

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

14. biblioadonis

biblioadonis Member

The Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge were both designed by the same architectural firm. I'm not sure about the Grand Californian. Haven't heard about that one.

GREAT shots by the way!

15. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I heard the Grand Californian was done by the same people as Wilderness Lodge

16. biblioadonis

biblioadonis Member

That is Grumptastic!

17. zackiedawg

Great photos Craig! Too bad you hadn't found TMIP yet - we might have had a little TMIP member meetup while there. ;)

I'm sure we'll be up there at the same time again sometime soon...since you're also fairly close by to DW.

I'm hoping to get up there sometime during Sep or October - maybe the same week as the Epcot thing if I can make the days off work in my favor. I gotta try that view from the roof out over the lake next time. :)

18. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That first shot of the lodge from across the lagoon by Discovery Island is Gorgeous.

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

20. Dan

Dan Member

Woah.. I say woah! I like the last scene, very warm and cozy, and have a certain fondness for the exterior shot, but I'm loving the first one. The combination of the electric blue evening sky outside and yet a balanced interior exposure is just excellent.

How did you avoid getting the typical puce color of light polluted night skies?