Who got or gave new cameras or gear for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by WillCAD, Dec 25, 2007.

1. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

I know most people won't see this until later in the week, but anyway:

What did you get (camera or accessory)?

Was it a surprise or did you know ahead of time?

Did you use it on Christmas day at all?

Ever had one (or similar) before?

And for those who GAVE cameras or gear:

What did you give (camera or accessory)?

Was it a surprise or did the recipient know ahead of time?

Did the recipient use it on Christmas day at all?

Has the recipient ever had one (or similar) before?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I scored a nice gift card to b&h. rock on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I gave my 3 year old 4MP Sony DSC-L1 ultra-compact to my uncle, who has never owned a camera before, let alone a digital. I had replaced it a few months ago with a new ultra-compact, and wasn't using it anymore.

I still had the original box, with all original parts, pieces, accesories, and manuals/warranty cards, etc...so other than a few scuff marks on the body of the camera, it was like a brand new piece. I also had the $90 underwater Sport Pack for it, so it can be enclosed within and used while snorkeling or in wet weather or beach conditions...I included that with the camera.

He has a 9-year old son who visits him several times a year (he lives with the mother in Georgia), and my uncle had wanted to be able to take photos when they go fishing, boating, snorkeling, etc. He had been buying disposable film cameras...so the need seemed apparent!

He had no idea he was getting it, and was very pleased. He kept going back to it after all his other gifts, and saying that was the best thing he'd gotten in alot of Christmases. He's not a computer user, so he'll just be taking the memory cards right to the photo shop for prints. I told him I'd walk him through the basic operation, using the LCD to review, deleting unwanted pics, etc.

My photo-related gift was a pack of 12 LCD screen protectors for screens up to 5" - I'll be applying them to both of my cameras ASAP to avoid scuffs and fingerprints on those big, gorgeous screens!

Merry XMas!

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Despite all the letters to Santa, I didn't get any camera equipment like I wanted :(

5. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I didn't really get anything. I got a gorilla pod and a Sima hitch (a USB transfer device). While both are cool I will be returning both to get extra money to spend at best buy I also received $220 in best buy gift cards which will go towards a DSLR (Nikon D40, or cannon Digital Rebel)

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

yep I got a circ. polarizer from Dina, and yes she used the direct link to the bhphoto page I emailed her!

Disneygeek, great plan- Good Luck!

edit: I asked for the D300 in September, but that got the biggest baddest NO I've heard in a while. ;D

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

dude, i could almost hear the "NO" from here... that little lady packs quite a wallop behind that smile! ;)

8. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

What did you get (camera or accessory)?

I got a larger Shoulder bag for the parks (a Canon branded Digital Gadget Bag), a portrait backdrop and stand, and a portrait light set.

Was it a surprise or did you know ahead of time?

Considering I emailed the links from BH to Santa, not really

Did you use it on Christmas day at all?

Heck no. There's so many toys and boxes, I don't even have room to unpack it. Besides, Rock Band took up my whole Christmas Day.

Ever had one (or similar) before?

Bags ? Yes.

Backdrops and Lighting ? Not a real setup.

Truth be told, I really wanted the lights and backdrop to hang a green screen so I can do some proper editing to our next Disney vacation video.

9. Dan

Dan Member

I got a pretty good surprise. My sister and her boyfriend came over and we celebrated an early Christmas. Among my wrapped packages was a large, thin softcover book. It felt kind of like a large magazine.
    It was from my sister's boyfriend (also named Dan, this causes no end of confusion). When I opened it I found it was a book on "Photographing the Nude". That's right, a book on nude photography.

This was good on many levels. I've mentioned how I'm not too good at portrait work around him, that I end up essentially doing portrait work with animals but I just don't know how to photograph people. I'm also kind of anti-social, it's as much a social as artistic issue, but still I have things to learn in that area.

Now I'm not going to go out and start taking pictures of naked people. To start off with, I just don't have any available.

But it's a fun way to read up on portrait photography concepts. It was a clever idea, both a gag gift and yet one with some practical function at the same time. The same concepts should more or less apply with clothed people, the extremely artsy style should make for some decent pictures, and it's a style I've never really dealt with before.

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

What did you give (camera or accessory)?
    I gave my wife a Sony Point and Shoot DSC-W80
    Was it a surprise or did the recipient know ahead of time?
    Surprise
    Did the recipient use it on Christmas day at all?
    Yes she took a few shots with it. She forgot she had it and missed a lot of photo opportunities later in the day.
    Has the recipient ever had one (or similar) before?
    no she wanted one because she thinks that my Canon is too much to deal with on a regular basis. Her loss and more time to play with it for me. :)

11. scpergj

scpergj Member

First, I gave my wife a Sony DSC-W55 point and shoot, and suprised her. She used it all day, but now I have to show her how to get pictures off of it!

She gave me the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D prime I've been wanting, and I used it on and off all day. Kind of a suprise, but since I didn't tell her much else, I was sure she picked up on the hints!

My brother gave me a polarizing filter, so now I have to learn how to use it properly!

My mom gave me a nice 8" digital picture frame, the better to show off my Disney pictures!

Kevin

12. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

For my parents: Wife and I worked our butts off to get a couple hundred pics of the kids on SD for the 8" Kodak frame we got them; most of which they hadn't seen.